Hobie Bravo

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Caldera Boats, Jun 1, 2006.

1. hilomania

hilomania New Member

Bravo and kids

I think the bravo would be ideal for the scenario you mentioned. And it's not more expesnive than a comparable monohull. It's very simple etc...
    Note: I don't think 2 6 year olds can right this boat; so you'll have to go with them at all times. I would think you would do that anyway at their age.
    Also fun: When people come by that don't sail, I give them the bravo. It usually takes me 5 minutes (Capsizing the boat; righting it, showing them how you can sail in all directions except directly into the wind...)
    After that they're on their own; usually have a blast and I'll take the Nacra. Great fun!
    If I were to start a sailing school / camp the fleet would consist foremost of Hobie Bravos.
    I consider this boat the best small boat ever built in regards to the original goals of the design.

HiLoMania

2. JunoJim

JunoJim Junior Member

Absolutely - it's a brand new single piece construction (roto-molded), very tough, easy to set up, etc.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Thanks guys, they actually make them down here in Brazil as well so have contacted the local supplier for more details (price, price and price).

4. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Thought I would give the thread a nudge. I sail on a lake most times - very light breezes. I really hate rigging big sailing boats. The Bravo is attractive for these reasons. How good is it?

5. Markos

Markos New Member

I sailed a Bravo on a lake in Missouri in very light breeze, and it was able to pick it up no problem. Also, the boat is so lightweight that you can paddle it out for a bit.

6. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

My wife, daughter and I had goes on one a few years ago. Other cats we've raced include Tornadoes, Formula 16 types, and Formula 18s as well as monos and boards.

We all really like the Bravo. It was not that fast, of course, but it felt fun and simple. If I recall correctly, it tacked really well. Because it's narrow, it feels responsive to gusts. It would be a really great boat to teach kids in, especially at a club that sailed both cats and dinghies, since it seems to sit between the two in design and handling.

Corley likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.