Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

The val IIIs looked fast. There was also a constant camber version of a val/tremolino that was 30' and folded for transport. I bet that design is still fast by today's standards.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Cirrostratus 10m

These drawings came from this site:
    http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Cirrostratus_10
    Check it out there is some interesting ideas on this boat, notably the wishbone cutter rig and the bomb bay doors behind the forestays which store the hanked on headsails below decks. I also like the central position of the motor. Not so keen on the twin cockpits but with the aft cabin I guess you can't have everything !

Attached Files:

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

"Wishbone cutter rig"....I had to look back at my old submission to Multihulls mag and Rudder mag to see if I had adopted a wishbone boom for my mizzen sail on my cutter-ketch arrangement.

1974-75
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/OrgMagArt.php

http://www.runningtideyachts.com/archives/Ruddermag.php

Turns out I had not yet adopted that boom arrangement in the original concept?

So what did I come up with? Lets call it a marriage between a cutter and a ketch without the mainsail. The original design was published in Yachting 1974 and in Multihulls 1975. Rudder magazine also made note of it in 1974. It was "A Unique New Cruising Rig", designed to go on a 55' cruising cat I was working on at the time. It didn't get built and neither did the rig. Like a bear, it went into hibernation.

4. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Didn't one of the early eighties English trimarans apricot or paragon use a form of bomb bay doors to assist in head sail storage. As well was there a problem due to the fineness of the main hull.

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

http://www.boatshop.com.ph/portfolio/Raybeth.htm

6. salglesser

salglesser Junior Member

Was just turned on to this site. You guys have certainly teased up many great memories. Thanx much. Great site.

sal

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A write up by Derek Kelsall about the trimaran Toria's success in the 1966 Round Britain Race. Scans from the November 1966 edition of the Trimaran Association of Australia newsletter.

Attached Files:

8. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Une petite contribution en français.

Attached Files:

9. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

10. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

there was another Cirro

I had a fair bit to do with Robin - I built one of his boats.

XS had no problems going to Antarctica - Robin and Terry got very cold. Terry couldn't fell his fingertips for a couple of months afterwards. As far as I can recall the motor fell off its mounting hinge and trailed by its cords. The boat got absolutely hammered by amazing katabatic winds that they ran away with just before landfall. They were in sight of land all day but never got to set foot on Antarctica. Robin has done heaps of miles and it was some of the worst weather he has seen.

There was a larger Cirro - Twisted Sister was an 11 metre version. Basically the same. Cirros would have more room than a Newick of the same length but the Newick has a really nice cockpit.

The bomb bay doors were on Irens designs 1986 designs as well IIRC. They were replaced.

Phil

11. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

I scanned this from an 'primer' on how to race multi-hulls. No. 127 is the one I owned for some years...some years ago.

Attached Files:

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. yipster

yipster designer

had a very good historical multihulls small paperback once briefly covering most designs of those years
    think it was from AYRS but Prince Philip seems to have changed adres and Dick Newick without e-mail
    though old news but if still printed i sure would like to see that little book again :cool: any pointers?

15. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.