Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Scare the submarines?

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Loose translation, Eugene Riguidel quote:
    For some years and especially during the hundreds of miles solo sailing for qualification, I've looked for a solution to limit the tendency of multihulls to pitch. VSD sails marvelously in light winds on all points of sail, especially compared to the opposition, that is, except for Three Legs of Mann 2 [another big Kelsall] where we are equal, so I've decided to reinforce my possibilities [of winning] with two foils. These are similar to a fighter aircraft [canards] and were built and fixed each side of the main hull.
    The first time testing the foils I realized a 4 knots increase in speed and the movement in waves, where I originally had concerns, disappeared (after a redistribution of interior weights). In Force 2, beating, VSD reached 8-10 knots in waves and 15 knots beating in flat water where the main hull lifts 20-25 cms and therefore reduces wetted surface and drag. Also the sails work better because of the smoother ride. In very light airs, by altering the foil angle of incidence, [to zero] the boat still maintains its original speed.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks-very interesting!

4. Gary Baigent

Some more VSD (first 2 shots), also VSD no.2 (Transat en Double winner) check foils - and Hydrofolie - from the late 1970's. The more things change, plus c'est le meme chose?

Attached Files:

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

6. Gary Baigent

I heard about it but know nothing more. Sorry. Maybe some of the Aussies will respond.

7. Gary Baigent

Late 1970's early 1980's historic multihulls:
    Walter Greene designed 46 foot Gauloises 4, a giant killer, here renamed R et G
    Nigel Irens first? trimaran Gordano Goose
    Eric Tabarly's Paul Ricard; here with early or the first square topped main.
    Derek Kelsall designed early central nacelle, 50 foot catamaran VSD

Attached Files:

8. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Center-pods or 'ancelles' or ???

Gary - are you having a 'go-at-me' or what ha ??? ha ??? Am I really suposed to keep quiet ???

To quote you "Derek Kelsell designed early centeral nacelle, 50 foot catamaran VSD

Can you please send a copy of all this to a friend of ours - just farther-up - The Northland - eh ???

I'd have thought it might make him laugh - that said 'new-idea' was developed as late as - when was all that again ??? - I'd wonder if any of those ever sailed at 8 kts plus in 10 kts minus of breeze with only 650 sq ft of total sail area & stood the 'test of time' - long past 30 years ??? AT 40' and under 5300 lbs total sailing weight - uuummmmmm ! ! !

Center pod - big enough for 4 people to live-in, sleep-in, cook-in & lounge around with loads of room in, full standing head-room & 'foam-sandwich' as well

Like I asked - are you sure you're not playing with me - eh ??? Still laughing - but do ask that chap up north of you. I'd sure be interested in what his reply might be ! ! ! Ciao, james

9. Gary Baigent

Yeah, well, James, Sundancer was definitely special with her small but adequate cuddy and all. However, don't forget that that arty farty Northland bloke spent time in Hawaii with Choy and Seaman studying their cats ... with cuddies, before he built, with you, old cobra, that speshull craft.
    But the difference with Derek Kelsall's VSD from the early 1980's is that the central nacelle was very similar to the "new" Decision 35's central "hull" ... and housed not only crew but all the mast and rigging loads within the long structure and curved beams.
    Actually the central pod/nacelle layout goes way back to 19th Century Nat Herreshoff's cat Amaryllis. Plus ca change ... again.

10. groper

groper Senior Member

May not be the right place for this, but this is about the only photo i have on computer, of my fathers former cat that we had whilst i was growing up. We bought it of an american by the name of dwane / duane /dwain??? who sailed it from North America to Australia back in the early 80`s. We owned it until about 1995. Dont know whats happened to it since... its name was IAGO - apparently a character in Shakespere`s 'Othello'...

It was quite a quick boat, sailed at almost the wind speed in ideal conditions, we had it flying a hull at one point during a race, and the best i saw on the log was 24kts on a reach before we ripped a sail... 43ft length, very minimalistic interior, no bells or whistles etc... all ply, spruce and glass...

Does anyone recognize this cat or who may have designed or built it?
    [​IMG]

11. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

It looks much like one of Rudy Choy's boats from the CSK days but it would be easier to tell with a side view. 43 feet was a length used for several of his designs.

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I had been working on this 'structural central nacelle' idea back io early 1990's when I first drew up this 65 design Never posted anything about it as I never became computer literate till 2001.

Eventually I made a few early postings:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/big-cat-alt-cbs-sail-rigs-2225.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/rudders-plates-along-centreline-between-hulls-cats-19818.html

Attached Files:

13. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday U. Where was the picie-took ??? Did he sell IAGO in Cairns ??? Or even - what more do you reemember ??? There was a cat just like that one - that was a CSK - 40' that sold in Cairns about 10 or more years before that. Nearly bought it but the guy flew out of Cairns before I could give him some money.

I messed around with CSK - the whole mob in Hawaii & David Barker etc etc - oh & some little guy with a funny beach cat - back then - all of us sailing 'P' class cats - off the beach. WOW - a thousand years ago.
    ciao, james

14. Gary Baigent

Some more shots of Kelsall's VSD. Correction; this early cat/tri was 19 metres LOA, not the 50 feet as I had it earlier.
    Kelsall knew the boat had excellent potential but later it was re-rigged with new sails ... which he said were terrible - and de-tuned VSD's performance.

Attached Files:

15. Gary Baigent

Couple of famous multihull sailors in this shot, Eric Tabarly sinking Moet and Yves le Cornec (second from right; he sailed Newick, Greene and Kelsall designs) - this shot of Euromarche's (ex-Pen Duick 6) crew who had just arrived (3rd I think) at dawn in Auckland during one of the Whitbread Races.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.