Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Did John Glennie go on to build or sail any further multi's? Rose Noelle was a total loss when she came ashore at Great Barrier Island but she kept them safe till they could get off hard to ask more of a boat than that.

It reminds me a bit of one of the guys in the MYCV who lost his searunner trimaran in Waratah Bay, Walkerville South. Vince and his wife were beaten up and tired in rough conditions and sought shelter but when the wind shifted and their anchor dragged they ended up on the rocks they were literally able to step off the boat onto the shore the boat was a total loss though. MYCV newsletter attached talks about the boats loss.

http://www.mycv.asn.au/PDFs/MNMarApr00.pdf

Theres also a report on a Port Phillip race from "Wings" (Crowther Buccaneer 40 trimaran) could be worth a read if your interested in buying the boat and curious about it's performance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Rose Noelle was Glennie's design

Gday

I was lucky enough to know John a bit before he left for New Zealand and his fateful trip from there to the islands. He designed and built his boat in the orchard at Pennant Hills where Spirit of America was built along with heaps of other multis. John's brother David also built a sistership - Janzia - which I last saw about 20 years ago in Brisbane.

Rose Noelle was the prettiest tri I saw in the flesh. I asked John what his influences were and he said that when he was in California with Highlight (the lodestar) he really liked the look of the Kantola tris. I have to agree with him there. Rose Noelle was designed to be a heavier displacement tri for an easier motion.

He did design a 35 ft version of the boat was well but I never saw one. There was a 38ft cat of John's design too that I saw one of.

Probably the most numerous of John's designs was not his design at all. John was a friend of John Hitch and Glennie redesigned the Hitchiker Mk1 with curved bows and a vertical stern to make it look much better and get more waterline length. Most Hitchikers are Mk2 or Mk3 designs he drew.

I never saw John again after he sailed away. I was offered a ride on the boat to NZ and would have jumped at the chance but back in those days snail mail delivered to my mum (who was cruising ) and then back to me meant that I missed the departure date.

John worked on Spirit of America with Lock at the orchard.

cheers

Phil

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

'B' class wing-mast

Gooday - you mob. Corley - maybe your request is now 'redundant' ??? If not - now we have a pic of KA 36 - ask away - I've still got the blinken mast - in my head - funny that - not much else in there though.

It really was - KISS - super simple - the wind effect on the mast - did 95% of the tuning - automatically - as we sailed - just a bit lucky - eh ? - yea Right - only took 4 years to start to figure it all out. It was - big - thick - strong - fast - extremely powerful - beyond all belief. I'd love to build another one like it & put it on the 40' tri - which I'd do - if I can - here's hoping. Ciao, james

1 person likes this.
  4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks Silver Raven I've got the gist of how it works now but I am interested in the specifics did the spar articulate as Gary suggests? What control lines did you run? Looks like an interesting system.

5. Silver Raven

It was KISS

Gooday mate. It really was the ultimate in KISSD.

The 'B' class wing pivoted on a front 4" alloy beam - in the middle - the heavy duty 'truck' bearing' was welded to 1 side of the hinge - a bolt was positioned in place when the cat was put on the sand - - the cat was then tipped onto its side & the mast c/w 'roller-bearings' was inserted into the 'cup' - the 3 stays off the very front of the mast foil were now shackled to the boat (they were now 4 - as the fore-stay split into 2 - 8' above the fore-deck - 1 for each bow) - the stays were 1x19 x 5/8 ss wire plus 4 5/8th by 12" turnbuckles (we didn't know any better back in 1965) - the aft stays were fixed to the outside of the hulls - 18" back from the center of the mast - which was 18" back from the leading edge of the mast.

The taxable area of 'the' mast was approx 126 sq ft (the total being some 260 sq ft plus) - The total weight incl all rigging was 100 lbs (45 kgs) maximum - - the remaining sail area was a soft sail with very light weight battens (which weighed only 5 lbs - for all of them) & again something no one else has followed up on - can't figure - eh ??? I recon I could do all that stuff for much less weight & at much more strength - what with carbon/kevlar/smart epoxies & infusion molding - heat cured - & as an added bonus - make a better wing-mast shape - by far - recon I can even make 'it' reefable (if there is such a word) & still keep it under everyone else's weight by many kgs- (Gary - that's another - Oooops - do you think ???) However to all you out-there - there's the challenge - for sure ! ! ! I'm up to it - are y'all ???

Just remember back a bit - here - wiil you all please - the main 'spar' was - in the 38' high wing-mast was a 4" (100mm) x 1.5 mm thick - alloy - irrigation pipe - - really hi-tech - I THINK NOT -

The 'soft-sail' had its own sail track -'freched'-into the back of the wing & was very easy to raise & lower - I'll use that system again - for sure - - less weight, very efficient & doesn't jam or loose its ball-bearings - either & at a 100th the price.

With the 'side-stays' so far forward - the wide sheeting angle available was great - never lost a 'reech' or a 'run' leg to anything - a Tornado - a 16' skiff - an 18' skiff or even 'Sundreamer'

There is - in 'M H O' much to learn here that - n=most - haven't even seen is there to be learned.

Ciao all, james

6. Silver Raven

Gooday - Looks like I didn't answer the 'control lines' question. Ooops - darn.

That was the simplest part of the whole system.

From the center alloy spar - at the bottom (20" off the tramp) - was the bottom foil shape 1/2" thick ply - to which was fitted an alloy tube - 2 1/2" dia - which stuck-out aft of the wing foot-after end - a rope was fed through a 'fairlead' at the end of that alloy tube - 1 end going to the 'soft-sail boom' & the other to a control-line - so the angle between the 2 booms - could be altered from the crew - while out on trapese from either side. Easy - simple - light - no complication & totally fool-proof. Oh & plus all that - it worked. Sure hope that makes sense to you. Ciao, james

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Posts 228 through 231 are on the wrong topic. :rolleyes:

8. Silver Raven

Listen old man - get a bloody life - please - if that's the worst thing that ever happens to you - you must live in a bloody shoe box with the lid closed.

In short - up yours - don't like where they are - bloody well move them - PLEASE MOVE THEM so you can get some sleep ! ! ! - but for Gawd's sake - grow up get a life & build a bridge & get over it. Stop being such a nit-picker. james

I will remove myself from your - so very precious site - you poor old fart.

9. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Wow James- still under the weather I see. I'm sending you a shipment of gubs to sooth your nerves- you won't see them but they will be watching you....Would you like a nice cup of hemlock tea (PNW folk remedy) for those irritable moments?

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Sorry OS you have lost me on that one, early wing development (in the 60's)and how those wings worked not of historic multihull interest? I'm certainly interested in how Lock and James were tweaking up their "B" back then.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Me too!

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry Guys.
    I seem to have set the Cat among the Pigeons. :eek:
    I thought those posts woud have been more applicable to the thread about Wing Sails,----- not Historical Multihulls. :rolleyes:

13. Silver Raven

Gooday 'older gentleman' & good morning to you. I do really mean that in all honesty. I'll be sure before breakfast to take all the medicine that 'cav' has sent - Gubs on toast c/w cottage cheese & vegamite - sounds like just what I should be taking - - OH & I'm sure you'll all agree - probably with some powder on top, hay ! !

Sailing & everything sailing & anything about sailing - belongs in/on a web site called - boatdesign.net - - I M H O - THIS PLACE so much better better than 'sailing anarchy' & so far advanced in behaviour - I'd like to be able to stay, Please ???

If some of you - far more learned & eminent persons - might choose to take the time - to show me where to have this discussion - that I thought was & matter of 'histerical importance' I would be forever grateful.

What I was attempting to do - was to let y'all know - how we did it - way back then - how simple it was to do - how much easier it was/is to controll (far better than is being done today) how light & strong it was & how simple, cheap & easy it was to build.

Someone - anyone - tell me where to go - Gawd - I'm sure I'll get told - BIG TIME - don't all yell at once.

Now I'll shut-up & go away - until I have received further instructions from 'on-high'. Ciao, james.

14. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

It's my thread ... and there are no rules ... and everything you're saying about those brilliant Aussie pioneers is relative and important, Silver Raven James - but maybe you were a bit grumpy about OS7 - but all is forgiven.

15. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I agree with you Gary, that Silver Raven James should be given a bit of slack.
    Every one is entitled to change their mind, it is just that James thought after posting his post would be better suited on another thread He may be right. However it still fits in as to development of the wing sail/mast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.