Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm having a tough time understanding how the rig worked. Does the front element tack? It looks like it is on one side of the mast in the photo? Or is it double sided and recamber on the other tack? The shrouds seem to go to the front of the element. I might just be being thick so please enlighten me :D

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Well, Silver Raven (James) will know ... but shrouds to leading edge is normal - but that is a very fat leading section and I think it is D shaped so the trailing sail element may be double sided, double luffed ... so I'm guessing, because the complete rig has a large thickness, then it would not be necessary to have a lot of movement, rotation, across the platform (for differing points of sail). Also it does look like the main bearing allows the internal spar to also move across platform (tack?) inside the leading edge, leading edge can swing over on each tack. But I know nothing and have probably read far too much complexity into the rig. What's the story, James?

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Ka 36

Gooday - well now that brought a tear to my eye. Tnx - cobber.
    Got a big smile on my dial - & I'm so sick - I can even think straight.

Tnx - Sir G-B. Now maybe when somone asks about weight, size, strength, height, thickness, who to build - I can use the pic as a 'data-base' to start.

Tnx, bloke, james

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Gary Baigent

here's a couple of early shots of Paragon, and although the boat is pitching in the second photograph (by Jonathon Eastland), it shows that the bow is higher than in the sistership version(s).
    Maybe there were three made, or maybe a name change for the second one? Anyway, what I'm saying is that original Paragon looks a lot lighter - which is understandable, she was a racing tri and not carrying cruising weight.

Attached Files:

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thats true, seems like a shame to load a boat like that down with cruising amenities. Even old race boats have to earn their keep in the end, nice to see a few survive though and are still in use.

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

If you go to really old race boats like the Choy cats or even the Nicol, the boats still have an interior because "yachts" were supposed to....In keeping with the spirit we weighed everything that came out of the Nicol as we renovated and make sure the new layout doesn't add weight. We really are cruisers though, sailing to get places more often than just sailing around. Backpack cruising is the way to think for a performance boat....

8. Gary Baigent

Found these old shots and scanned them. The C Class cat images must have come from John Glennie; forgot he'd given them to me. You will like these Silver Raven James. The others are Steinlager trimaran, being put together and launched in Auckland ... quite a few years ago. Also forgot I had them.

Attached Files:

9. Gary Baigent

Oh yes, the Kraken 55 is another of John Glennie's; he worked on it, Spirit of America.

Attached Files:

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Cav said:- "If you go to really old race boats like the Choy cats or even the Nicol, the boats still have an interior because "yachts" were supposed to...."

I can relate to that.
    Having spent a lot of time sailing on the Kraken 40 tris "Ringo" and "Mana Moana", I formed the opinion that the K 40 would have been an ideal fast cruiser
    for four people. It was an easy boat to handle, had full headroom, comfortable accommodations, and a silky smooth motion which made it belie the speed at
    which it covered the water.
    Truly a great design.

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I read a book "Capsized" on the Rose Noelle capsize but it didn't really go into any detail about the boat itself. It looks a bit like a Crowther in the pictures but with more accomodation over the centre hull was it a custom design?

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Has anyone got a pic of the Rose Noelle. :?:

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Here is one from the book (sorry it's a bit blurry cant get the binding to sit down in my scanner), I think Gary mentioned he did some work on the boat so he might have some details.

Attached Files:

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

15. Gary Baigent

No, no, I never worked on the boat, just wrote a couple of articles in yachting magazines after the capsize and interviewed John Glennie when he was recuperating in Auckland. Rose Noelle was his own design, as redreuben said.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.