Historical multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

David Lewis and Rehu Moana

Hey, all

In a parallel existence I have been researching the first multihull circumnavigation by David Lewis and family on 'Rehu Moana' with a view to writing a small article on it for a community newsletter I contribute to...

...think I have enough research material to write the article but have not been able to locate any suitably hi-res images of either David or Rehu Moana. Must not be from a website as these are always too low res for publication...alas. Pic needs to be JPEG or TIFF, 500kb min size.

As I understand David passed away in 2002, would anyone on here know of any contacts for his family who might be able to provide a photo? I understand he was at Tin Can Bay in QLD when he died after a trip up the coast, but I believe he lived in New Zealand for many years as well.

I've even tried emailing Dick Smith, who I understand was a mate of his, but have not heard anything back yet....

Any ideas???

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Try Maritime Museum, Voyageur, Auckland; David Lewis gave a talk there more than once. Rodney Wilson or Tim Walker might have access to images.

3. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday - If you want to find out about anyone of some stature - such as David - & then - especially Dick - - then phone Ian McNamara on Australia All-over on Sunday morning (Macka's - ABC - Sunday morning program - is the most listened to program in Australia with over 2 million listeners - every Sunday morning from 0530 to 1000 hrs AEST) - tell them you wish to find out some background info on David & his exploits - they'll put you on the air & the whole of Australia will hear your request & you'll get some feedback & usually rather quickly. I know it works because I've used the very same system over 25 years & still do from time to time. Ciao, james

4. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Both excellent suggestions.....

Macka, eh? Now why didn't I think of him myself??? lol

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Not sure if the attached pic is of high enough res for your article I found it on the where are they now page on Golden Oldies Multihulls. Sad to see so many of those great old boats lost or destroyed but good to see some have been saved and are still sailing. Is the trimaran Paragon really still in existance in New Zealand as they suggest?

OK just read buzzman's post properly this image will be too small for publication but the link is interesting anyway.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.goldenoldies.biz/gomquesontilsdevenus.htm&usg=ALkJrhg7mGSw8v5jUxj_b98KI7yvyI55Ng

Attached Files:

6. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Sadly, no, the image is only 40kb....need min 400kb and preferably over 1Mb..

..but thanks for the link...some great boats on there! :)

7. Gary Baigent

Corley, it's a sistership of Paragon, I believe, only two were built, this one more cruising orientated: did a Coastal Classic a year or two ago and mostly lives in Bay of Islands.

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

How cool is that! I always thought Paragon (and Nigel Irens Apricot) were beautiful boats. Nice that a sistership survives albeit more cruising oriented. So that would be Titi Nui? (stands for big **** apparently lol). Thought she looked familiar for some reason.

Attached Files:

9. Gary Baigent

Rethinking what I wrote, maybe it is Paragon, but loaded down with more gear, fixed mast? Will check up.

10. Silver Raven

Gooday Gary - Corley - Doug - etc. Hi blokes & I've finally found a guy that had the book - my good friend Geoff - Catamaran Sailing To Win by Chris Wilson & Max Press - If any of you have it - go to page 149 - bottom left - 'B' class KA 36 - Mystery Gary I'll try to learn how to blow it up & discuss the wing-mast to soft sali intersection on the leward side. That's where it ALL happens IMHO. Lock Crowther hulls - Brian Leverton wing - flat - fast - stable - extremely powerful - race winning machine. Wing & all the rigging weighed 100 lbs/46kgs was 125 sq feet - taxable sail area - incl 1/2 the 2 booms - that was without the soft sail & battens - - that was way back in the late 60's. Ciao, james

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Any chance of scanning the page Silver Raven? I'd be interested to see it and dont have the book.

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

13. Silver Raven

Gooday Corley - young fella - you've got far greater expectations of my real-life abilities - than I have. I have not the slightest idea of how to go about doing that. Due to a tad bit of dyslexia - if I were you - I'd not be holding my breath - waiting for me to learn.

It's not really important - in the big picture - of the intelligence of what is discussed in this place - however - Doug - Gary & David Barker have some idea of what it was all about - way back then & I've been trying to find the pic. The boats wing-mast's ability at keeping laminar flow attached was quite something to be seen. Way back in the 60's when all the other cats (incl 3 Tornados) were - going around the course - reaching - running & hard-on-the-nose - - working - - - we were always on the same sail setting - something of a work - whatever you wanted to use to describe it. The whole rig - didn't move much more that a few inches nor did the mast to sail setting very all that much either.
    Now I watch the NEW BREED - like AC 45's getting it 1/2 correct. I find it all very interesting - & thought Doug & Gary might be interested to see the boat - if they can get a copy of the book or someone in a PM might be bothered to teach me how to do it.
    It's not all that important - many more smarter people than I'll ever be - here in these forums. Ciao, james

14. Gary Baigent

Here it is.

Attached Files:

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.