High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Doug, a critical consideration is arriving here...
    Frankly, this thread has imo long become very difficult follow. It has grown into a too big pile of pages full of theoretical talks, specifications updates, wishlists and expectations, but very little actual action. That is probably the main reason you have so few replies and questions about a potentially interesting topic. It is more than 2 years old by now, it is huge, and I see it very improbable that persons who have recently joined the forum will bother to read all 68 pages of text about an RC model which yet has to be finished...
    In my humble opinion you should either step on it and bring the construction to a quick end, or make a pause in updating until you manage to find some time to finish the boat and put it in the water, in order to make few videos which could be shown... Just thinking out loud, of course, after getting back here after quite some time, in search of news.
    Cheers

2. Darth Reapius

Darth Reapius Junior Member

Doug, as much as there is good updates, there are too many updates that are "far too monotonous" to keep up with it 100%

We're hoping your right, but we're doing far too much reading, and far to little seeing this little thing fly round

Just as a little bit of info, I am currently trying to work on a design for something not dissimilar in my own time

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Daiquiri and others.
    From our impatient and expectant positions as readers and observers on these threads, it is easy to be critical of the time taken to produce results which have to come from the inventive minds of others who are breaking new ground in the push to advance the boundaries of the relatively new and exciting technology in which we are all acutely interested.
    Not many of us are in the position where we have the time and money to apply ourselves to our hobby 24/7.
    Give Doug a break.
    He is doing a hell of a lot better than most of us. :cool:

4. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

4+ years of a project model is more than "a break" (this project started in 2009)
    And "circumstances" seem to include things like digressions into DSS foils for a full sized boat who's hull he has given away, and time spent modeling the "trapwing" and time spent reinventing a gaff crane, and doing repetitive picture updates using tools like Paint instead of decent digital tools.
    "inventive" is not the description that leaps to mind seeing that sort of track record - considering in another thread, someone built essentially a full sized boat that does most of what Doug proposes for this boat - and took 4 mos to build it.

5. Darth Reapius

Darth Reapius Junior Member

We know that, but what if Doug's is better?
    Please show us something that you have done, we'd love to see that I mean all the **** you talk, you must secretly be the guy who won Oracle the races (but you are clearly not because you wouldn't be posting here so much if you were special)

hoytedow likes this.
  6. Baltic Bandit

If Doug's boat is demonstrably better then and only then does he get to be anointed as "inventive". One needs to actually invent something useful to be considered inventive.

As I've said before, I design and build systems for a living. So for fun I sail. I'm pretty good. I've got some less than common silverware, and I've sailed everything from a kiteboard (still learning) to Brindabella (a 75' pocket Maxi ) From full keeled Shields to 49er skiffs - from hard core World champs racing to cruising and living aboard.
    and I have formal training in mechanical engineering.
    Now you can feel free to discount that experience, that's your prerogative. But as I've posted before I actually pay attention to what Paul says over beers at the clubhouse.

7. tmark

tmark Junior Member

So in other words, Balts, you have lots to tell us, but nothing to show us ... in the parlance of most, that's known as hot air.

8. Baltic Bandit

hmm more personal attacks for the simple observation that "innovative" means actually creating innovations not reinventions. Fascinating

9. tmark

tmark Junior Member

No, a simple observation is all ... and a response to Darth's challenge ... please show us something you've done.

Until then, thank you for your contribution to easing this winter's polar vortex ...

10. Baltic Bandit

Still on the personal attack hmm?

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Again, why do you call this a personal attack? I am not innovative but if you are perhaps you would like to show some of your accomplishments vis a vis mechanical engineering.

If I said you were ugly(I didn't) and your mother dresses you funny(I don't know who dresses you) then that would be a personal attack.

12. Baltic Bandit

Its a personal attack because it doesn't address the actual issues raised - such as heave control, stiff mast on a high perf sailboat and because its a form of ad hominem - IE its not that what I've written is wrong factually, it is that supposedly it is hot air because
    a) it isn't fawningly insipidly supportive
    b) I don't make a big deal out of the stuff I've built, repaired and moved on from

that's what makes it a personal attack instead of a discussion

13. tmark

tmark Junior Member

Pot, meet kettle.

It takes character to post as Doug does, knowing the slings and arrows that will come his way. It shows character of a different sort to hide behind a screen name, and post jab after jab.

I'd suggest that if you wish to be taken seriously Balts, start posting something you've designed, built, patented, sold, inspired, anything ... give others the chance to judge you on your work, the same way you would have others judge Mr Lord.

14. Baltic Bandit

hmmmm Really? Given that this forum pretty much moderates any hint of criticism and Doug is quick to appeal to that, I guess I don't see where the character is demonstrated, Particularly when initiating personal attacks that even the moderator saw fit to delete from Doug's own threads on more than one occaision.
    Hint, I get taken seriously by folks who understand sailing and design. And frankly I don't care that much about others.

15. Baltic Bandit

First time in the history of mankind.... .WOW... just WOW!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.