High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

That explains it. Thanks.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

==============
    I've been doing this one for three years and it's worked fairly well- it has allowed the details of a whole new foil system to made public and hopefully will show the relevance of a first class test model to an actual 18' foiler supported by much detail.
    And now we have our own troll for the last multiple pages.
    There is no "responding to yourself syndrome" in this thread as best I can tell.
    I'm amazed you posted to make this point-whats the point? Whats the contribution to the thread-just curious? Was it worth the effort?

3. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

So Doug - those are old videos you have posted before. The thing we are all dying to know is how many more man-hours of work do you think you have in this model before it sails for the first time?

4. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

Please relax. I was asking if you had a blog, because it would make sense for you to. Keeps all of your progress in order, and keeps " trolls" away. As it is, your projects are spread out across many topics. It's difficult to follow, especially when there are arguments in between information. No it wasn't worth the effort. Good luck.
    -Ryan Finn.

5. Baltic Bandit

Finn the problem with blogs is that they are not guaranteed Eyeballs. they tend to fade into obscurity.

6. R.Finn

R.Finn Junior Member

Very true. And that's perhaps where most of that content should be. I often see blogs linked to websites, like a satellite site for more updated and personal content than the main site. I've just never seen a public forum used as a personal blog before, is all. Sorry if I got off topic. I'll leave you guys to it.

7. Baltic Bandit

Well my experience is that folks who would otherwise get no traffic to their blog, cross post to a public forum kindof as a way of gaining attention. I've seen this done with Facebook and LinkedIn for example.

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It won't bother you if you ignore it.

9. Baltic Bandit

Hard to ignore when you are getting personally slammed in a public forum.

And given that I've turned the other cheek and contributed constructively - dunno what the fuss is about

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------
    Thanks. I was just curious about your thinking, thats all.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

RC Model Foiler Stats

Thanks to Curtis Luxton for the inspiration for this post.
    -----------------
    The F3, designed, built and produced by me a few years ago was a very successful RC foiler. It foiled in a 5mph wind(4.35 knots) measured on a Davis Windmeter and more than doubled it's initial speed on takeoff reaching almost 2.5 times wind speed-and close to 3 times windspeed max. Any RC foiler that is close to these stats should be pretty succesful. The Bradfield foil system(with slight mods to the foils and wand system by me) was excellent and generated all the RM for the boat. The two local F3's NEVER capsized or pitchpoled in 2 years of frequent sailing and racing. We had a fairly good F48 cat here at the time and the F3 would literally sail a circle around it when the F3 was on foils. There were also a lot of monos-mostly M class that were beaten by huge margins on windward leeward or triangular courses. The F3 was more than twice as fast upwind from the start to the first mark as any other boat.
    Some stats for comparison with other RC foilers:
    1) F3-- SA/weight-208.5 sq.in. per pound
    --SA=1668 sq.in
    --weight=8lb.
    --------------
    2) F3--SA per sq.in. of main foils-49
    --area of each main foil=17 sq.in.
    -------------
    3) F3--Foil Loading-main foils at takeoff(increases after takeoff)=.188lb/sq.in.
    ==========================
    MPX- from post 871
    1) 235sq.in per pound with Code Zero
    --SA=4244 sq.in.
    --weight(est)= 18lb
    --------
    2) SA per sq.in of main foils (at takeoff-changes after takeoff)= 52.39 sq.in per sq.in foil area.
    --mainfoil+ama foils at takeoff-81 sq.in(at least initially, model windward foil will not be retracted at takeoff-on full size it will be)
    --------
    3) Foil Loading at takeoff(decreases after takeoff)= .184lb/sq.in.
    ==============
    Pictures, L to R : 1) F3 just hours out of the shop on her very first sail, 2) F3 made the cover of "Model Yachting" with an article inside:
    click-

Attached Files:

12. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

1 person likes this.
  13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. Baltic Bandit

So Doug - when are we going to see some progress photos? You haven't posted in a while, and all we get is a 13yo video?

Simple question - what's on the list of things left to do? after all a poster in another thread build a whole full sized foiling tri from October till now.

What problems can we help you solve?

15. Madrc570

Madrc570 Junior Member

SA/Weight

Hi Doug, thanks for the note!!

It turns out my foiler's ratio is just shy of the F3's.

By boat weighs 1.25kgs (2.75lbs) and has a total sail area of roughly 3450cm^2 (542.5in^2)

so it works out to 197.2 sq In/Pound or 2760cm^2/ kg!!

Do you know if there is a way to calculate the wind speed necessary to foil, and also do you know what takeoff speed was roughly for the F3?

Those specs from your boats really help!!

Thanks
    -Curtis

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.