High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

For those with older eyes, here is the delta diff from prior post #694

Nothing has been deleted and only the following has been added
    For those of you who want to rest their eyes

2. Baltic Bandit

So doug, what is it about the two lifting foils that "allows an oversquare platform when a wide trimaran w/o these foils would not"?

I thought that whether a central hull would fly is purely a function of now much Righting Moment you have vs. Sail Power. So it seems to me that an oversquare trimaran would simply be able to carry more sail power and hence lift off just like a normal trimaran.

What am I missing?

3. high on carbon

high on carbon Wing Nut

Less rationalization and more sailing. Go, come on, in time for xmas......

Come on DL, you can do it!

4. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Thanks for cutting through the spam. It's a lot easier to read the actual updates if you can find them, and if they don't have eye-burning formatting. :)

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

=============
    Well, I'll be damned! Yeah, wouldn't that be nice.......

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

==========
    You need to read yourself and not rely on someone who doesn't --or don't even bother.
    edit- the information you appear to have relied upon is incorrect and incomplete. Each place where a change was made is noted .

7. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Honestly, I'd rather rely on the diff. I've done coding work in my time, and when a large file is updated you don't force people to read the entire code. You just give them a diff that they can apply. It really does make things a lot easier.

Hint for you: people would be less inclined to wind you up if you posted a bit more normally. If everyone on the forum started posting like you do, I'm quite sure the moderator would have conniptions. We'd probably be accused of spamming. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it either.

My 2c is that it would be better to just update one post that has the relevant details, and link that from your sig. That way, people could still find it easily if they wanted to read the whole thing, and you could just put the actual updates in a new post and tell them to check the link if they want the whole thing.

If you do it that way people might actually read your updates, instead of just thinking "Oh hell, not this pile of stuff again" and ignoring the post. Presentation is important if you want people to engage with the content.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

Heres the radio box partially decorated and fully installed/mostly finished:
    click--

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

This is a test of the "decoration" for the top-maybe yes, maybe no:
    click-

Attached Files:

10. Baltic Bandit

11. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Doug likes taking the most complicated option available. It seems to keep him happy.

My 2c is that I don't think this boat will ever have mass market appeal, simply because of its complexity if nothing else. However, if he can get the model to foil stably around a course under radio control, that in itself would be fun and rather cool.

I had a brainwave yesterday. Given that the full size boat, if it's ever built, is supposed to have nifty bucket seats, and given that the code name for the model is Fire Arrow, I humbly suggest that the full size boat be codenamed Blazing Saddles.

Baltic Bandit likes this.
  12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=======================
    I don't think you understand the technology that has been used on trimarans up to this point. Because, if you did you would realize that small trimaran foilers up to now have used three foils which included TWO main foils and TWO wand systems(or feelers) !(or two main surface piercing foils and one rudder foil)
    My system simplifies that to a SINGLE main fully submerged foil with an experimental ama foil that, if it works, will be extraordinarily simple-requiring no altitude control(wand) and which will AUTOMATICALLY unload the main foil.The main and rudder foils work together to provide extraordinary pitch control AUTOMATICALLY-as well as AUTOMATICALLY increasing RM as required. This system is the simplest foiler design for a full flying tri that I've ever seen or heard of-using just two foils to carry the load when
    full flying.

13. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

ROFL. I can't believe some idiot neg repped me for that post. Some people have no sense of humour. Hell, it was quite polite and even mildly encouraging, if not precisely reverent.

Anyway yes, I do understand how foilers work, and that tris usually have three foils (and have since the days of Williwaw). You have four foils, not three, so it's not exactly simpler. ;)

Also, my honest opinion is that some of your rig ideas would benefit from simplification.

But hey, it's your model.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

-----------------------------
    No, you don't get the difference. Only three foils are used at takeoff on the fullsize version of the MPX(3.25 on the model at takeoff), then the mainfoil is unloaded and only two foils carry the load. There is no other full flying tri anywhere that does that. Plus the other advantages not available in any other trimaran foiler period.
    Wrong, significantly simpler than a Rave, Osprey, Skat, Longshot or the Hobie trifoiler:
    1) only one wand controlled main foil, instead of two,
    2) when flying, just one foil carries 80% of the load vs two on all the others above.
    3) And Williwaw had multiple foils arranged in four separate groups-probably 4 times as many foils(or more) as the MPX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYXxZiL4B8

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Test Model

More pictures tomorrow of the radio box. The last two jobs are to hook up the rudder pushrod and to set up the sail winch drum and line. Both of which will wait until the rig is complete so I have more time to figure out how to transport the boat with the rudder pushrod hooked up. It dawned on me today that it will stick out about 6" aft of the transom when the rudder is removed for transport.
    Also, I want to set the rig up and determine exactly how much line travel I need for the mainsheet and for the jib/ Code Zero Sheet.
    I had planned to set up a vangeller using the Harken track and car I have-and it may still be the best idea. The straight traveller track would be set up about 1-2" aft of the forward cross and the "mainsheet" would adjust the traveller car position and the line going from the car to the boom would be adjusted as would a vang. One problem was the probable requirement to have another small length of traveller track and car mounted to the boom so that the pull on the "vang" portion of the vangeller was more or less vertical with no tendency to jam the boom into the mast.
    But for now I will use a "traditional" vang coupled with the noggle for the sake of the simplicity of the set up. But the advantage of the vangeller is that it encompasses the vang and mainsheet and affects the whole rig better than does just a vang and center mounted mainsheet( with manual off center adjustment of the side to side range of movement of the point of attachment of the sheet to the boat). Maybe down the line I'll set it up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.