High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fire Arrow Foiler / MPX Foil System Testing and Development

Note: see experimental large size photos and the short version of the video on the previous page.
    Team Fire Arrow just after making the first foiling video of the boat July 24th, 2014-Dan Burke,top, me below. We were pretty happy that day:
    [​IMG]
    screen capture

----------------
    [​IMG]

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fire Arrow

Concept model of a 12'LOA X 17' wide full size version of the Fire Arrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

RC Pioneers

Back in the 90's I produced several different types of RC sailboat. In my research of the competition and also in looking for fittings, masts etc. I ran into Walicki Boats. I soon found out they were one of the worlds premier builders of Internationally recognized RC classes. His fittings, masts and boats were second to none.
    I was sad to learn today that Janusz Walicki died in early June........

Tribute to Janus Walicki: https://marbleheadsailing.wordpress.com/

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D4Z Foils (Batfoils)

D4Z (AC 4.8RC) Foils:

[​IMG]

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

One of the original parts of the Fire Arrow concept was to make the boat self-righting-which would make it a self-righting foiler. Many, 4 years ago, thought the idea of a self-righting foiler was nuts and ,not only that, impossible. Well, I have a problem with the test model in terms of excess weight so might not be able to effectively test the boat with the original 3.9lb keel bulb. But now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a foiling keelboat is possible so a foiling, self-righting trimaran is possible as well. I've known since last year that the boat will carry the weight on foils.
    Here are a couple of threads about the Quant 23, the worlds first foiling keelboat:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2434531
    The boat was designed by Hugh Welbourn a friend and all round brilliant naval architect.(and inventor of DSS!)

A thread about the Q23 on boatdesign: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/multihulls/sai...cow-53468.html

And on SA: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...owtopic=166624

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fire Arrow 2015: mast aft experiment, endplates on mainfoil flap, full battens,
    iFlap removed from port ama foil,reefed rig heavy air setup:

[​IMG]

Foiling last year with full size rig-note difference in main size:

[​IMG]

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D4Z, an AC 4.8RC America's Cup Cat

Here is a test video showing the Trapeze Power Ballast System working. Not a great video but it will do for now. Need to add full battens and grind the boom as shown in the video-then she's ready. Hadn't planned on full battens but she definitely needs them. I just noticed the boom problem this morning-it will be fixed today or tomorrow:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1geEAgHU6yw

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D4Z-AC 4.8 Foiling Cat

Final test set up(see video) before sailing:

[​IMG]

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D4Z-AC 4.8 Foiling Cat

First test sail of the cat tomorrow morning if the wind is around 5mph or less.
    About an 80% chance of a no-go. Dan and I and the boat are ready but for the very first sail it has to be light air. The good news is the thing should foil in a 5mph breeze. The bad news is we may have to try multiple times before the wind is right early enough in the day.. We'll be at the (no shade ) site at 7:30 am to beat the heat if the wind is a go.
    I'm loading the boat and rig just as soon as the sun goes down enough to get shade on the car.
    -----
    Update: no-go--too much wind. Next shot Friday but Wind Guru forecasts not encouraging.
    Update: no-go tomorrow(Friday) morning-next shot Tuesday and next Thursday. Both days look promising but Thursday the best.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D4Z / Batfoil Testing /Fire Arrow Testing and Development

For anyone using an RMG switch:
    I had the radio box sealed with super waterproof tape with the LiFe battery inside and hooked up to the RMG switch with the switch off. When we couldn't go earlier in the week I thought I'd leave the battery in, but that wasn't a good idea.
    Because of the electronics that are part of the switch it dawned on me that there might be some current draw even with the switch off. I e-mailed Rob Guyatt and he said that was the case so one shouldn't leave the battery hooked up for more than overnight- 2 or three days maximum.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Update on testing: we're running out of time that Dan can take pictures so we're going to go for it Tuesday no matter what(almost). Then possibly Friday it's the Fire Arrow's turn. I should have set things up to do the Fire Arrow first with all the wind we've had-but that's hindsight. Oh, well maybe it will still work out.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Some stats: ( see next post-#2100- for the story on the mods to the daggerboard reflected in these stats.)
    1) Last year:
    a. SA=3390sq.in.
    b. Dgr area=60.93 sq.in.
    c. lee ama UptiP foil vertical immersed area=15sq.in.
    d. Dgr+ama=2.23% SA
    ---------
    2) This year(reefed rig) :
    a. SA=2791.5 sq.in.
    b. Dgr area=41.44sq.in.
    c. lee ama UptiP foil vertical area=15sq.in
    d. Dgr+ama=2% SA
    ---------
    3)Last years full rig,this years Dgr:
    a. SA=3390sq.in.
    b. Dgr area=41.44sq.in.
    c. lee ama UptiP foil vertical area=15sq.in
    d. Dgr+ama=1.66% SA

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I've been considering doing this for a long time and today I started a process that will take thru Monday to complete. I shortened the foils 6" so that now they are at minimum wetted surface for the lateral resistance that the boat needs. And the draft will make it much easier to launch the model.
    For the fullsize version max draft goes from 6.8' to 5' board down.
    This was a scary operation on the daggerboard because it has a pushrod running inside to allow the wands to control the mainfoil flap. I was able to cut the board and get access to the lower portion of the pushrod much more simply than I thought it would be. Now reassembly- today and tomorrow. I have a small carbon tube that fits perfectly which I'll use to rejoin the pushrod. Extreme care has to be used in rejoining both boards but particularly with the main foil so that the angle of incidence of the foil is not inadvertently changed or the travel of the pushrod changed.
    Going well so far......
    UPDATE: Last two pictures show parts fitted in the jig and carbonated:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.