High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fire Arrow Foiler / MPX Foil System Testing and Development

----------------------------
    When you can there are little tidbits of design and construction throughout the thread, but probably the most interesting for now would be from about page 88 on. As best I can tell , probably your best return for time invested will be in rcgroups-truly astonishing stuff is available.(I sent you the link)

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This post is here for the convenience of those interested in the status of the project w/o searching the whole thread:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This post shows the changes that have been made since the first foiling video of July 24th. In case you missed it I've apparently injured my self and won't know how serious it is for a few weeks(unless, of course, I fall down -then I'll understand pretty clearly(hah))

4. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

I've used the linear actuator kits before, that go on top with wound spring steel part. I love linear servo's, I wish they were all just linear, make life a lot easier. In a lot of apps I have just set up my own linear linkage via a slot in the side of a cf rod, then a plate of wood with channel for the rod attached to the side of the servo. You can shrink wrap, or tape, the servo and just CA it to the plate of wood. Have had to get creative with gear door actuators and such many times. If you need it super tight and accurate do it in RDS form(rotary drive system) in that form you can make the receiver pocket a linear slide and attach control on any of the for sides of slide you want with channel left for unused side. I make my own reds by tapping servo hole to my own thread, and threading rod with a jam nut on it, and screw it right into servo. And pockets just use the free sample chips of Masonite from Home Depot.

http://www.geniebuild.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/g2hardwarehidef.jpg

And that picture shows remote pocket but not linear actuation, linear actuation you do with a nylon hinge right on a pocket, that locates it and determines swing.

Barry

5. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Oh almost forgot! There's the super poor mans way where you get the rack and pinion from I think robo technics(kids toy thing?) and just do the block and channel thing on side of servo.

http://www.emsjomar.com/linear.aspx

Oh and this is setup I've used before, cheap and works like a charm.

Barry

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

! have never, ever seen a linear servo in my life.

That would solve so many problems, but i see all the true linear servos are big, heavier duty suckers.

These guys look really usefull
    https://www.servocity.com/html/hubs__couplers___adaptors.html

7. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah they shoulda all been that way for now! And rds. The last link I put there are nice, and there mean to go on servos ha already have. We used to use clock springs, then someone made the kit with spring steel. Now there all plastic, just winds up as it goes around the arc. All the additional angles were deal with servo sweep just adds to it. Wanna know another poormans linear actuator? This ones so simple you'll kick yourself. Just aim the end of the servo arm into a slot,or pin one of it's holes in it to something and when arm doesn't move the servo must! And pinned in the tray does so in a linear fashion.

Barry

8. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Doug, try the goggle system somewhere first. You probably won't be able to see that big puff coming across the water or enough of the sails to trim well. LOL

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks guys. Barry that was good info. Jim, what do you know about these goggle systems that I should look out for? I know some are "head tracking" and some aren't- any more points to check?

Barry, I love the conversion kit-(click to see the linear action)

Attached Files:

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

---------------------------------
    Jim, I'm hoping to eventually use the goggles with the Giropter 360 degree X 180 degree camera. http://www.360.tv/

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

12. Jim Caldwell

The goggles I looked thur about 3 years ago had about 30 degree viewing angle, way to narrow for fast sailing. RC Groups has a section on FVP for more up to date info.

13. PerthMini40man

PerthMini40man Senior Member

If you go to this link below, and jump to about half way through (around the 2mins 20sec mark), you'll find a fast run from my white Mini40. Possibly the fastest it has ever sailed.
    http://youtu.be/vH3fzjdULEY
    Rgds

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Great! Do the wands on the cat move the whole foil?

15. Jim Caldwell

Congrats, that was really moving!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.