High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Testing and Development

On its side the shroud is in the way-it runs all the way out the the curved piece(that supports the ama). Looking forward to your boat-the results should be very interesting! Is there a Mini 40 or F48 near you to compare with down the line?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Testing and Development----First Flight!

Here is the video where the boat clearly used foil lift for the first time-and how I know for a fact that it did:

Attached Files:

3. Rosebud

Rosebud Previous Member

Doug,

I am certain that I am spekinng for many on this fourm when I point out that your constant modifying, adding to, and removal of posts is extremely annoying.

Additionally, it demonsrates a significant lack of crediibility on your part regarding your initial posts.

I would like to ask the moderator to PLEASE change the forum settings to disallow modifications to posts after a fixed amount of time (say 10 minutes or so), like other fourms.

Regards,

-Rosebud

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Testing and Development

RB- this forums system has been around a long time and works quite well. It allows changes for a specific time-I think 7 days-and that allows posts to be double checked for accuracy as well as to improve the clarity of the post that has been made. Specifically in this thread, which many times includes very technical information, it is great that the poster is allowed to make corrections or improvements to the way an idea is expressed-it adds to the value of technical presentations.
    As you say, there are some forums that have a ridiculously short time to make edits(10 minutes or so) but three of the four forums I visit use a system similar to this. The one forum that doesn't is certainly not a good place for technical discussions.
    ---
    If my previous post bothered you because I said: " we're about to have a thunderstorm and I have to shut down. I'll be back later", I'm thankful we have a system that allows me to shutdown quick under circumstances like that instead of having to delete a post of or do two similar posts. I really like the system here and on two of the three other forums.
    You can register your complaint by PM'ing Jeff and/or by going here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/forum-questions-suggestions/

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Previous Member

Mr. Lord,

It is not suprising at all that you prefer the current system, as it is apparent that you are the biggest abuser of this feature. However, in your respnonse, you identify the exact reason that it is not condusive to any credible discussion. That is, you can (and do) regularly post information that is inaccurate, misleading, plagiarized, or just down right wrong, without any concern, because you constantly go back and change your original posts.

By restricting this type of posting abuse, people tend to be more careful in what they post originally, as they are bound by what they initially post. And, it is abundanty clear that this is something that you would find difficult, if not impossible.

That said, I am not going to get drawn into an argument with you on this, as I am confident that you will once again choose to report me to the moderator claiming that I am Chris O. (or somebody else from your past), or claim that I am "attacking you", or claim that my posts are off-topic.

In keeping this post on-topic, in your lasest video there is at least one occasion in which your model clearly gets up enough speed in which it should have easily demonstrated lift from the foils, either the main hull foils or the float foils. However, having watched it several times, it shows no indication that ANY lift is being generated at all.

Additionally, in watching the second video again, I stand behind my orriginal statement that EVERY TIME the boat lifts the main hull, the boat takes on a bow-up attitude, slows down, and then comes crashing back down in an uuncontrolled fashion.

Regards,

-Rosebud

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Rosebud-----Down boy, down.

7. Munter

Munter Amateur

Doug's practice of editing posts without acknowledgement is inconsistent with the forum's FAQ but somehow doesn't get pulled up. From the forum FAQ:

"The idea is that if you notice a typo or mistake, you are free to edit your post to correct it as you see fit. However, after a thread has started or gone in a specific direction, we don't want anyone to dramatically alter an early post in the thread making later posts seem out of context which would be unfair to later posters."

Here is an entire thread Doug has derailed after the fact because he didn't like being challenged on his content.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/high-power-very-small-tri-s-10-14-why-not-33417-7.html

I don't know why it is accepted within this forum as it isn't really a fair way to conduct a discussion and it does seem to be abused by Doug consistently and repeatedly. It also makes something of a mockery of the otherwise tight moderation standard applied to the forum.

If the rules aren't adhered to then the only thing you can do is ensure that you quote Doug's post when responding. Its a pretty basic response and doesn't really help the readability of the forum due to the copious amounts of repeated text but it seems to be the only way to actually hold a poster to account for his commentary.

8. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If a reply hinges on a particular detail of a previous post, you wouldn't necessary have to quote the whole post if you feel that would be too long. Instead, it can be effective to quote the sentence or paragraph which the post is answering or on which the post is making an observation.

Some people feel the current edit window is too short while others feel it is too long. The current 7-day edit window is a compromise that seems to be a good balance overall.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Previous Member

Moderator,

Thanks for the clarification.

What I don't understand is why the poster in question is allowed to constantly abuse the BD Forum policy, by constantly changing the content of earlier posts.

"The idea is that if you notice a typo or mistake, you are free to edit your post to correct it as you see fit. However, after a thread has started or gone in a specific direction, we don't want anyone to dramatically alter an early post in the thread making later posts seem out of context which would be unfair to later posters."

Regards,

-Rosebud

Munter likes this.
  10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

OK Rosebud. Leave it off now. The subject has been clarified.:rolleyes:

11. Boat Design Net Moderator

The intent of the FAQ item was to explain why the default edit window exists and why it's not indefinite. For example, if someone started a thread asking about a lighter 2-stroke outboard, got a number of answers and advice, and then after 6 months or a year, and after the thread was no longer on people's minds, realized they actually were looking at a heavier 4-stroke, it wouldn't be so good if they changed the original question entirely. So the edit window is a balance.

Life is short, and if discussion with a particular poster seems to become more adversarial or more frustrating for you than rewarding, put them on your ignore list and spend time working on or discussing projects or topics where you find the discussion rewarding.

12. Rosebud

Rosebud Previous Member

oldsailor7: message received.....thanks.

Boat Design Net Moderator: same message as above.....thanks.

I do find it odd that a public discussion forum such as this is being used (and apparently protected) as a personal blog. Isn't that what blog web sites are for?

Question: Are posters on this discussion forum allowed to question and/or challenge any inaccurate, exaggerated, or misrepresented information by the OP?

Regards,

-Rosebud

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

One of the purposes of the forums here is to provide a place where people can share things they're working on for others to see or to get input as desired. As to the question - sure absolutely. If you see someone post a calculation that's wrong or have experience to help with a problem posted or see a fact posted that you spot as incorrect, it's great if you share your knowledge. All that's asked is to please keep the forums polite and if someone is willing to share what they're working on, please keep the focus on helping them. Not all threads or projects will appeal to all people, and sometimes you may find a discussion with a given person becomes more frustrating than enjoyable. If so, it's better to move on to something you enjoy working on.

14. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Doug, there is a Nightmare tri in my sailing club.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

That's the boat designed by the guy from Austria, right? (Ernst Zeaman?)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.