High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Doug,

Im not sure if you are just watching the video and pausing it or whatever but here is a neat free tool I have been using for many many years. It does not have any spyware or ads loaded into it and it is totally trustworthy. I set our undercover police guys up with this years ago because while it is a powerful editing/compression tool, you can use it for mundane tasks easily, like stepping FRAME BY FRAME, easily through the video, with the arrow keys on the keyboard.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

if your videos are in .mpeg format then you will need this version.

http://www.videohelp.com/download/VirtualDub-MPEG224586 .zip

if videos are in any other format, you will need to convert them to either .avi or .mpeg. Im sure there are many other tools, but this is streamlined, no pretty effects to waste precious RAM during editing. Just simple frame by frame analysis.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

2far 2drive, thanks for that tip. I didn't know about that software.
    I use the VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/), an excellent player which will also do the job of forward frame-stepping, works with nearly every type of video and has some very useful post-processing tools for better visualization and image analysis.

However, the backwards-stepping is not implemented in VLC, due to the fact that in most video formats the pixels of the next frame are calculated from the pixels of the previous one. In other words, only changing pixels are transferred to the next frame. It means that each video frame depends on the cumulative history of the preceding frames, which makes it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to calculate the frames backwards. An image-buffer would be necessary, which would allow to store the last XX frames for backwards frame-stepping, but those stuff consume an awful lots of memory.
    Cheers

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MPX Testing and Development

===================
    Thanks 2F2! I'm not sure there is enough resolution to the original to do that kind of analysis-what do you think?

4. daiquiri

If I may answer: no Doug. :) It is hard at moments even to see whether the hull is in the water or not. Looks like one of those 80's VHS stuff. :p
    You'll need a more skilled cameraman and an HD cam for your next tests, if you intend to make videos for technical analysis.
    Cheers

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========================
    Dan had a new camera and tripod yesterday-he'll probably have it tomorrow. It has a zoom that works without scrambling the picture. I think, considering the camera limitations, Dan has done a tremendous job. There would have been nothing without his willingness to take the time to take the video. For my purposes the video and stills have been fine so far. There is no need for technical analysis. (edit: there is no need for frame by frame technical analysis of the video)
    But I sure wish the damn gone pro had worked out-I was looking forward to close ups of the wand system and ama foils.

6. daiquiri

I didn't understand this one.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Why not just mount one of those Olympus waterproof cameras? All they need is a 1/4 20 bolt mounted where ever you like and they don't weigh much. The video will record for about 30 minutes on a full charge. I am going to go weigh it. Be right back.
    Olympus Tough weighs 6 oz. and can go under water 10 feet. It is also shock resistant.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404695,00.asp

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

There is no need for frame by frame technical analysis of the video.

10. hoytedow

What about the weight? Is that feasible?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hoyt, both the camera you suggested and the Giropter are right at 6 oz and that is no problem.

12. hoytedow

Where would it be mounted?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Probably on the front end of the wand plate, if it would clear the vang, or on the forward crossarm. In conditions like the last video it would get a lot of spray-there was even water on top of the GPS tracker which is on top of the rudder.
    It's probably best I don't have it now-until I get the boat a bit more sorted.

14. hoytedow

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Great idea-thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.