Help with power audit

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Mick@itc, May 28, 2012.

1. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

As part of my multihull dh550 systems design I am working on the various systems designs. One of the bits of information I need revolves around power usage. So I am doing a power audit at home and on the small boat. I have built an electrical systems model to size batteries, generator, solar, etc and I need to capture specific loads. So here is my draft list of powered items (be they gas, electrical, diesel powered) that I would like you to check and add to if possible. Any item you can add would be great because I can check it off the list.

Cooktop
    Propulsion
    Lights internal
    Lights external
    Electronics - nav, computer, transducers, instruments, radios, etc
    Entertainment, tv, radio, cd, DVD, etc
    Water heater
    Water pumps
    Anchor windlass
    Sheet winches
    Microwave
    Kettle
    Toaster,
    Other galley small appliances - mixer, etc
    Bread maker
    Water maker
    BBQ
    Air heater
    Air cooler
    Fans (small cabin type)
    Fans (other, eg engine space)
    Fridges
    Freezer

I bought a watt/hr meter that I have been putting on items at home to get the weekly fortnightly average usage and I have got some good normal pattern usage which I have applied to the model. So please check the list for the things I have missed and let me know.

I am willing to share the excel model once it's finished if you would find it useful.

Many thanks
    Mick

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

One option which it is worth considering is having sufficient extra power budget to be able to run power tools on an occasional basis to carry out running repairs and with all those systems there will be occasional maintenance required. Some systems if they failed you would simply ignore till you reached your next port but watermakers for example or propulsion/generators require urgent attention should they fail. One way to address the issue is to use battery powered tools and have a power budget set aside for charging. A mate of mine has a convertible cockpit table which he uses for repairs with a clear plastic shroud that he can put up when repairing small parts it stops circlips springing off into the sea or disappearing between the saloon cushions when he is repairing a smart idea.

3. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

G'day Corley, thanks for the reply. Yes, will include that as a misc item. What I am finding very interesting is the amount of power "continuous" items like phone or laptop chargers used when they are left plugged in. We have a charging spot at home where all the phone, kindle, iPad, laptop, etc are plugged in. Since Friday noon it has consumed 1.72kw/hrs...I usually leave the metering device on for a week or two to get a good daily average. The fridge, freezer uses 1.4kw/hrs per day! Lots of things that are continuous are frightening users of power.

Thanks again
    Mick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.