Hedley Nicol Trimaran Plans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. taow

taow Junior Member

yes sorry glen i tried to add some pics the other night and ran into some problems, i managed to upload but they wouldnt show on the post, and then last night i ended up in hospital, i have 3 some what painful kidney stone in me, and a nasty infection along with it, tell ya if its not one thing its the next, im sitting in hospital now, drip hanging out my arm. so will get some up soon for you glen,
    cheers all
    Alex

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Yours was rougher but getting through 40 years of flaking paint on the outside (the inside this year) wasn't fun. All our pictures are on film for the early part including ama strengthening etc...The main hull bulkhead forward of the sail area we beefed up for a crash bulkhead and to take the loads of the heavy weather staysail which uses the lever off a Searunner.

Attached Files:

3. glenn oshea

glenn oshea Junior Member

ouch

sorry to here that catch up later then

4. taow

taow Junior Member

OUCH is dam str8 mate, ill be happy as larry when its over with i can tell you glen, they say its the closest a guy gets to the pain of child birth, only after child birth you get life all i get is a stone and some doc wanting to stick a camera somewhere im not letting him unless i need to haha i told him he better knock me out or tie me down first or he might cop a kick in the head, then he just looked at me with a very worried look in his eyes :p, anyway enough of that back to boats.
    just tried to upload pics and still wont let me? probably my great computer skills hahaha,
    was looking at your pics there again glen and noticed your rudder is set right at the rear, so far every wanderer thats posted or that ive seen pics of have all had there rudder at the rear, where as mine is set under the cockpit area, doesnt give a bad responce where it is and it allows me to pretty much turn on the spot and makes the rudder very light also, any one know why every other wanderer has theres at the rear under the aft cabin or even hanging back from the sturn as in glens pic ? also from a few pics ive seen about i seem to said to windward closer then most rudder maybe? or the keels under my amma maybe?
    noticed you dont have the keels except on your main hull there glen?
    regards all
    Alex

5. glenn oshea

keel

i rang the the bloke that had the mods done.he told me that it did not like to go to windward very well before the mods . so he put a larger keel on and also a drop down keel he moved the engine to one side to allow access to aft cabin from main and removed the outriger mini keels . it steers well and is very responsive on motor power . yet to have a sail of it so will let you know

6. taow

taow Junior Member

good timing i just sat down and theres a reply :)
    strange it wouldnt go to windward, i get pretty close to it say about 11:25 to 11:30 wind coming from 12:00,
    drop down keel sounds interesting would stop alot of side slip im guessing.
    wonders how she sits when you beach her with out the amma keels.
    i like the access to aft cabin idea.
    and you havent been out for a sail yet? bet your hanging for summer then haha
    glenn your in bris ? if so might have to meet up and both go for a sail to compare the differance to both boats with each set up if your interested, ill be sailing into brisbane around late september some, if i ever get back up to pick her up, as sadly to old owner of mine has turned out he knows very little and ive had to make a lot of repairs and changes just to make her safe and sea worthy, which pisses one off a little as i trusted both him and the broker, even though i should have know better then to, but lifes pretty **** i think if you cant give people the chance to be honest, anys thats a whole other story and im not wanting to bag the guy out to much, as he did look after the old girl just did some totally weird things and placement, example my wind generator mounts on the bow? haha and you can only mount and use it while at anchor or moored.
    he damaged the radder and replaced it with a flat S/S plate, half the chain plates were cracked and wrong grade S/S, and half the rigging wires were halyards cabling, and a nasty leak in the rudder skin fitting, all of which they new about but failed to tell me till after the sale of the boat, in saying that i prob could have been a bit smarter i guess and was a little bind and silly, as its a lot of boat for a little $ or so i thought LMAO but little, well a lot of work and fixing the wrong **** should end up lookinig nice, although not sure ill get her looking quite as nice as yours now ive spent all the refit and repair $, **** happens as long as it floots and makes it back into bris :p
    oh and i was told the amma keels are designed to help with the windward sailing.
    ill try to send you a private message glenn in a sec see if you wanna have a chat ;)

7. cavalier mk2

Hey Taow, your rudder is in the stock location, over the years many of the boats were modified. The reason for the placement was the very shallow draft of the original design, the rudder was under the hull to make it more effective and away from the stern so it wouldn't come out of the water in the rough stuff. A deeper rudder aft works fine too and gets the rudder post out of the stern cabin. Sorry to hear about the ouch, hope you get back on the boat soon.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. taow

taow Junior Member

cheers cavalier, well put thanks
    i like the rudder placement as it turns pretty much on the spot and responds well so ill be leaving it where it is on my old girl,
    and yeah mate the ouch has settled and on the mend and plan to be back onboard asap
    cheers matey

9. glenn oshea

10. taow

taow Junior Member

ok some opinions please.
    colour ideas for the deck? other then white, its to reflective. i was thinking a cream till i looked at a few. maybe a pale blue, but then is all blue just a little to much? maybe a 2 tone. will be going with a premix anti-slip type,
    so far i got the cockpit to be a light or pale blue, decks still deciding? so throw some thoughts out, this seems as good as any place to ask.
    im going paint shopping saturday.

haha thought! blue deck with a gray siluet of an Albatross flying over the water, across the deck haha :p

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

What ever you do don't ever paint your decks Blue. Seagulls love them, but you won't love the seagulls after a while. :eek:

12. taow

taow Junior Member

haha to true didnt think of that did i haha but really not leaving me with much to choose from, i was just thinking 2 shades of blue till you floated that :(

13. cavalier mk2

The light blue looks alright, we changed to a light green for more of a earth feel, very restful. You've already started with the cockpit so what ever you do has to match. Keep it light to reduce the heat inside. For a more "interesting" paint job mask off a 1-2" border around the deck and cabin edges to leave white-or hull color. We'll have to repaint when our work for the year is done- nothing like tide flats and muddy boots to get that weathered look.

14. cavalier mk2

Now that you mention it old sailor the gulls did love that paint when we got the boat. The green tends to attract the land birds.....

15. taow

taow Junior Member

hmmm time to hang the flying hawk. yes green hmmm think id have to see some to get a feel for that, i was thinking a 2tone light blues, but now im not so sure, but then im pretty sure birds will **** where they can sit, regardless of color and yeah when you think on it alot of blue boats have **** on them, :p maybe it doesnt show up as much with other colors :p but im leaning to either a 2tone blue or cream :( and yes i want a lighter color to take the glare but not heat up in return for it,
    hmmm random text how about sandy? sandy sounds better then cream

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.