Hedley Nicol Trimaran Plans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Hello Ian,
    If you are willing to make available the bulkhead blueprints, sheets 11, 12, and 13, as Cavalier MK2 also requested, I'd appreciate them too.

2. John Girard

John Girard New Member

36' Hedley Nicol Mark 2 Vagabond Forsale

All this chat about the Mark 2 design well I have the real thing forsale in Toronto. It's in excellent condition it has some well thought out modifications which I can go over with whom ever may be interested. It was originally built in the 70's of solid mahogany framing and Dutch Papua New Guinea ply skin with glass over. If your interested let me know with an email at wychwoodcraft@rogers.com

John

3. emurover

emurover New Member

I have just bought a vagabond mk2, which is in need of some repair.It has been stripped of deck hardware.
    I wonder if anyone have the original sail plan with placement of sailtracks,winches etc or even perhaps a few photo's would be greatly appreciated. mail is pummell@bigpond.com

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Ian Nicol has the originals if you saw his post but so far he hasn't responded to our inquiries. Imaginary number made a extra copy of the plans. If he doesn't have them anymore I'll make a copy of the sailplan, sheet 10 for you. You'll also need sheet 3 that shows the deck hardware location. They show fixed block locations that work with the stock sailplan. I installed tracks on my cabintop with the genoa cars controlled by tackle so I can change the sheet lead angle without leaving the cockpit. With the furler I installed it lets me leave alot of sails on shore. I added a barber hauler from the ama midpoint and the new combination handles everything really well. The winches are installed on the cabintop aft. My cabin is a few feet longer which me more room but with the stock stays you can't get a bigger jib in anyway. Keep the stemhead fitting in the stock location as it is the difference between keeping the ama bows up or not in heavy going. If the stock fitting ever breaks contact me and I'll send you my bow modification specs. If you draw a line from the tip of each ama bow where they cross the main bow is where it should be. Also keep the stock rake to the mast for the same reason. A outer stem fitting can let you install a larger light air Genoa/screacher without a bowsprit for light air. They are great boats, check out other postings on this thread for other suggestions or send me a email.

5. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

emurover,
    The extra set of plans that I had has gone to the person who originally requested them from me, so your best bet would be to take up Cavalier's kind offer as he now has the original blueprints. He is very knowledgeable and can help you out in many other facets of Vagabond use.
    Best Wishes

6. cavalier mk2

If you are in Australia try to meet/contact Shawn Arbor who has a yard there. He is a long time builder/racer of great reputation who has redone some Nicols. If Renegade is still on the market you could pose as a buyer and get some ideas.

7. emurover

emurover New Member

Thank you cavalier for your quick and knowledgeable reply, I would greatly appreciate copies of sheet 10 and 3 as detailed. I was planning to refit deck hardware this saturday,hoping to soon move it closer than the present 2 hour drive however if you could foward plans i will wait to get the best location for hardware. I am unsure of plan format or sheet size, Email would be quickest and i would be happy to pay for any costs involved if they need to be scanned or perhaps digital photo of plan would surfice. Thank you

8. cavalier mk2

No problem, costs are fine, that way Ian won't have me up on looting the family fortune and you can save for deck gear! I'll have to get things scanned but I'll send the measurements for the block locations in a few hours so you can work this weekend if you want to.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  9. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Anyone out there have pics or plans for Nicols 25 ft Clipper?

10. cavalier mk2

There is a Nicol clipper for sale in australia you should be able to get pictures for off the internet. Mystic Seaport Museum in the USA has the Clipper sail plan they will sell you for the copy price. The A.Y.R.S. in England will print you a copy of journal #55 that includes an overview of most of the Nicol boats along with a firsthand account by Hedley of the tests made and flight of Vagabond 1. And you can always try Ian Nicol.........

11. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Couple of jpegs on Drumbeat in the Hauraki Gulf, in the mid 1970's. That's a pretty smart crew there including owner Keith McClane, young John Douglas (built Steinlager trimaran later), and his father, Jim Keogh and another bloke I can't remember his name, oh yes, me too, behind camera.

Attached Files:

12. Gary Baigent

ps: Drumbeat is NOT planing .... although she could be close to doing so in the first shot??? Nah, not planing, sorry Doug.

13. Gary Baigent

Rick Douglas, just remembered John's father's name, he was in A Class Cats in the early days here.

14. cavalier mk2

Thanks for the pics Gary, I'll post some sailing shots after I compress the things.

15. cavalier mk2

Interesting rigging for the mast with the lowers moved inboard, do you remember where the forward set of inboard stays were coming from on the mast? They must have run the chainplates on the fore and aft sections of the triple box beam.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.