Gunboat G4 with UptiP Foils

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, May 12, 2014.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I met him when he moored Williwaw at Westhaven after the long Pacific crossing, saw that I was interested and invited me on board, showed me how the foils were stowed and implemented. I'd run out of film and this was the last shot with my Hasselblad, unfortunately, because I wanted to take more. We raced against him in the Auckland Annivesary Regatta and when the gusts arrived, Williwaw just walked away from us aboard our Nicol designed trimaran. The foiler wasn't great in the lighter patches though.

Attached Files:

• ww2.jpg
      ww2.jpg
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
  2. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

From the video the reduction was greater than roughly calculated resulting in capsize.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Now that I think about it I do remember that name Williwaw, and I do remember the ladder-steps foils that the Navy was experimenting with. I guess it was just not a subject I associated with sailboats at the time,...more of a powerboat thing, so I just ignored it. Short-sighted perhaps :)

I certainly don't remember her covering that sort of distance across oceans :!:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Monitor

Brian, you may be thinking of the Baker MFG. foiler Monitor using ladder foils for a contract with the Navy. Had some pretty unique systems like rig control of RM.
    Would also tack and gybe on foils if I remember correctly. http://www.foils.org/monitor.htm

Attached Files:

5. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Dave Keiper probably should be much higher in our consciousness than he is. Williwaw didn't set the world on fire with her passage times which were not faster than a normal trimaran so I can see why she didn't start a wave of development. She does show that sometimes it is the materials scientists who are the real stars of development. I talked to Andy McDougal a few years ago at the Moth worlds at Belmont who told me that he needed carbon for the foils and extremely high precision CADCAM to produce the steel moulds for the foils. This contrasts to Dave Keiper getting his foils welded up at the local welding shop.

Keiper showed Williwaw to Arthur Piver. In fact Keiper bought Piver's first ocean going tri - Nimble - off Piver and sailed it to Hawaii.

cheers

Phil

6. brian eiland

Squaretop/Fat-headed Mainsails

I was looking back thru a subject thread about squaretop mains and noticed a few quotes of yours Doug. Sorry, couldn't resist bringing them up:eek:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

A square top mains gust response is not going to dump enough sail area to prevent a capsize!

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

G4 Foiling Cruiser

Great article by Doug Schickler in the latest issue of Professional Boatbuilder. He goes into detail about the engineering and building of the boat.
    One interesting detail is that a proprietary method of laminating the UptiP foils was developed by the team.
    It's the August/September issue,# 156. Article on page 40.
    Dougs website is: www.styacht.com

10. brian eiland

Hi Doug,
    Have you seen this latest presentation video on the new foil-borne, A-frame rigged vessel, the RAVE V ?

This new foiling vessel with an unusual A-frame type rig has come up on another forum,...VERY interesting foiling and rigging subjects.

Foiling Week™ 2015 - Forum day 2 - Larry Knauer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=228&v=JD5-shtZalY

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. brian eiland

Hi Doug,
    After reading that article and looking thru their website, It appears as though they are interested in a lot of 'unconventional ideas', or at least entertain subject matter on some of those.

I wrote Doug Schickler a private email and outlined some past history I have had promoting an unconventional sailing rig, my single-masted ketch (aftmast) rig. Turns out he has entertained such ideas himself,...and then just recently he turned me onto a research paper I posted a link to over here:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/aftmast-rigs-623-51.html#post747152

Wind Tunnel & CFD Investigations of Aftmast Rig

I'm getting ready to post a brief summary of that paper, along with some of the photos,...that might shake up a few naysayers on that subject thread.

Meantime I'm sending you a private message as I may be down in your neighborhood Sat or Sun,...would like to meet in person?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I sent you a PM Brian-this isn't a good time for me. Hope your trip is productive.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

I like the Rave V concept, combining the "canted" Twin-A-Mast plus foils... might become a very exiting boat.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Till end of May 2015 (as self given deadline) the Windrider guys were searching for pre-investors.

Does anybody know if they made it to finance the production of a small series being launched beginning 2016, as planned ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.