GForce1500, White's Atlantic 48 or Hughes 48-50

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Aug 3, 2016.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Hi, thanks for the comment. I did think about that but if you run an extra long shaft 10' or so to keep motors (200 lbs each) away from the ends, then that pivoting arm could be built pretty light, I think, under 50 lbs. I don't know if that is still too much...

Alternatively, I thought about suspending it from the side of the hull further forward or the bridge deck but that means a longer arm, more drag not behind behind the hull and other possible loads that I don't even know about.

Im not too worried about pivoting up at speed, the props are above the bottom of the hull so they are protected. When you want to pull them up, just stop.

I think it's discussed on the Harry Proa site of using a tender to power the boat but the main time I would want to have power on that boat is when I need to maneuver I also don't like the aesthetic of using the tender. I want more than a stripped down racer.

Having said that I have been working on fit out and payload weights. The site says boat weight is 8,800 lbs and payload is 6,600 lbs. So I made a list of the heaviest items, things like holding tank would be dumped offshore when I am sailing so I didn't count that weight.

The one thing is I don't know what is counted in the boat weight, hull, masts, furniture? Anyway here is the list I came up with, which is a little too close to the payload weight so maybe more trimming is needed.

Boat Weight: 8,800 lbs
    Designed Payload 6,600 lbs

I’m at 6,170 lbs so far but I know I am leaving stuff out. Still I am pretty close and have all the frills in a performance boat!

16’ Dingy with 25 hp outboard (kayaks and other toys stored in dingy.
    Dingy / 25 HP Outboard 500 lbs

Drives
    Two (2) Torquedo 40 HP inboard Motors 400 lbs
    Three (3) DeepBlue HV Batteries 900 lbs
    Misc Components and Genset 800 lbs
    Solar Panels 200 sq ft 600 lbs

Holding Tanks / Fuel Tanks
    Water (about 50 gallons?) 400 lbs
    Fuel (about 50 gallons?) 350 lbs

Fit Out
    Three small AC units 180 lbs
    Desalinator 180 lbs
    Freezer 120 lbs
    Fridge 120 lbs
    Washing Machine 120 lbs
    Ice Maker 120 lbs
    Two Toilets (2) 200 lbs

Food / Clothes/ Other Gear 500 lbs
    Live Load (2 people) 350 lbs (will change)

Other Items Desired
    4 Scuba Tanks 120 lbs
    Tank compressor 100 lbs
    Other Tools 100 lbs

Total so far: 6,170 lbs

2. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

All your suggestions sound good and are workable. Some thoughts/comments on a couple of them.

A double bunk that you can access from both sides is easier to get in and out of. Maybe athwartships, with space down each side and foot room under the sofas?

Look forward to seeing it. Ideally, everything kicks up in a grounding and can be lifted for drying out, with no holes in the hull below the waterline. One or more of these may have to go if the aesthetics of side mounted rudders is a problem.

They rotate outward, except on the very rare occasions (accidental gybe) they rotate inward! This has to be allowed for. The wishbone booms are 1.8m/6' off the deck of the long hull, which is 600mm/2' above the bridge deck, so should not be a problem. The sheets are lightly loaded due to the self vanging mainsails, can be led to wherever is suitable.

I agree about the look, but the benefits (lifting and kicking up) outweighed this for me. Two large lifting rudders also make it possible to fine tune the steering to minimise the rudder loads, help post-shunt when a large course change is required and provide better control at low speeds. Turning them both 45 degrees and crabbing sideways off a jetty is a unique experience.

From your other posts:
    The lee hull draws 250mm/10", not 18" and access to the bows is difficult, so the motor option shown would not be ideal.

The payload is 6,600 pounds, but extra weight could easily be carried in the lee hull. Unlike a cat or tri, this extra weight does not contribute to the loads on the beams and rig.

The 8,800lbs displacement includes the furniture, rig and tender on the C60.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Ok, Thanks for that info. Going to study my options some more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.