The Future of Formula 40 Trimarans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Skip JayR, Sep 8, 2015.

1. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Pot, Kettle. Skip, you're joking right? The person responsible for most of the thread drift here is you, who has posted a bunch of of off-topic material including pictures of Newicks earlier in the thread, which invited a like response. What does a book supposedly written by a Samurai and a project primer have to do with F40 tris?

2. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Jamez, my thought's, you beat me to it. Skippy's hopping and hovering lout & clear all over any place like I haven't experienced in this forum ever before and not only this thread.
    I'm sure Skip will eventually come to his, only a bit less lout kraut crying, senses though and thereby learn to cope with the gentle & respected mellow soul of this experienced international sailing community I may surely hope.
    He patronizingly remarked.

3. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

little bit shaky...

Nothing against this community, Hasyb. I appreciate it a lot and the people here.

I just try to keep it on the right track... as this topic is in an early stage of getting orientation... it is little bit swapping to port and starboard here and there... we all know from steering sail boats, right ?
    [​IMG]

Yes, same from my side... I need to keep the focus and on the (self given) track... you can demand this from me to keep my boat well trimmed straight foward, too. So kick my a*** if I should loose orientation.

Lets keep focus on the given question not drifting away too heavily, okeys ? - What's the future of F40 ? :)

4. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

How to narrow the future...

You missed one word... the relevant key word is "future". it is not just about Formula 40 trimarans, like a retrospective in a museum. That is not my intention.... and I would not be interested in. We live today, and now... and not in the past. I am not a friend of "Golden Oldies Trimarans". - And here even exist an own thread for: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/historical-multihulls-42019.html

So it is not about the book, but what this book is teaching: Keep focussed !

[​IMG]

For understanding the future we have to look back first, to get an understanding of the history, its own dynamics.. What happened ? - Why it happened ? And for what it happened ?

Then we look at the "status quo" of today with comparisons (e.g. other boat classes) to get a clear frame (or you might say: to know the clear position where we are nowadays).

From both, past and present, we can move on to get some ideas about the future, its potentials, risks and chances. And herewith can come to the answer: Yes, F40 has a future ! or: No, F40 has no future, let keep the boats in the museum.

I think most of the posts here in this thread cover the topic. Lets try to avoid too heavily drifting away to learn together efficiently for designing the future !
    [​IMG]

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

As much as I love the large tri's they all die a death as there is nowhere to park them
    There has been some great racing in France but all dead now.
    Unless all Tris become folders?

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

One positive about 40 trimarans (and some F40's were) is they can be made demountable and fit inside a conventional 40' container. That negates some of the storage issues that effect larger trimarans. Add a two piece mast and transporting the boat around and sailing at different venues is easier.

If anything could cause some resurgence in the class it's that factor storage cost and the problems and cost of storing the boat in the water or on a hardstand are at least partially removed.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Sure containerisation is a big plus to any class when its a race class but back to punters like you and me who need to wet sail its an issue when you cant fold as you need a mega yacht berth or mooring.
    In that respect to fold a 40' you need to have the fold out in the beams otherwise you lift the main hull out, thats going to be a bit of engineering but I think that could be the future of a cruising/weekend racer especially if it behaves with only one arma folded.
    Come on designers where are you?
    maybe 3 beams instead of 2 or 6 as the case maybe?

8. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

It can't be Planet Earth. - It must be a Multihull Haven Heaven !

Powerabout, you are right. Space is relevant. Herefor I invite you to come over to the CF (Cruiser's Forum) for lively discussion to talk about this relevant aspect of sailing bigger Trimaran boats.
    For these boats, you must be in the right place... otherwise it can become an owner's nightmare (by expenses).

As this is mainly a "boat design/building" forum, I started the topic under the headline in the CF Multihull forum: "It can't be Planet Earth. - It must be a Multihull Haven Heaven !" (same as here: cost free membership in this multihull forum)

[​IMG]

Just came in there legendary multihull designer Derek Kelsall himself with some interesting views.

9. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Do you (or anybody else) know Formula 40 Trimarans which can be folded (or at least simply unmounted in one afternoon) ? Interesting aspect, indeed...

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yes same as a multi 23 basically, but that would only suit me with a race crew.
    There are plenty of others as well, RC44 a bunch of guys in an afternoon can assemble it as can Extreme 40 cats
    can all be done with 2 piece masts as well.

11. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Skip,

I'm really not certain if you're intensions are sound; even by my own, as low as possible, standards that is, just to be sure.

It's not that I'm disturbed, since you ask, by you sending me a PM or even by the accompanied header "engagement" but I seriously and intensely question the excuses & motives you use in this PM, which by the way, could easily mistaken by an even less idiotic member in this forum as censurable trolling and ballyhoo. Ballyhoo?? Yes, definitely ballyhoo…….

So please don't PM me anymore tendentious stringpulling triviality, just be honest about your intentions and proposed target group too everyone here in the open.

Cheers,

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I seem to remember that a original selling point selling point of the 40' length was for container shipping? Making it a requirement would spur development but there again is a cost point.

Look to car racing to see the challenges of building up and running a racing circuit. Investors and advertisers tend to want something already running before they commit. Here is where the class fell apart before. There may be hope though, like F1 this thread has elements of the circus...

13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Sponsorship & Money

In order to revitalize any of these racing classes in a formidable manner what really is needed is sponsorship monies. Then the whole thing gets started, and continues to draw more participants into the mix.

Just look back at the most significant growth of the monos and multis in France. It was sponsorship that drove the whole thing,....the money to build ever increasing types and sizes. Get the adverstising on the vessels and on the sails, and then get it into the news print, and spread it ever so wide.

Look back at that 'historic multihull' subject thread and I think you will come across a big number of those racing multihulls with advertising all overon them.

I began putting advertisements on our beach catamaran sails back in the mid-late 1970's when all we had to work with was cutting out vinyl and adhering it to the sails, Then came airbrushing, etc.

I even had an article published in the Business Review of Wash DC (July 80) "Sails Are Flying for Advertisers", about our program,..... and my near gain of getting the entire rental fleet at the foot of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge covered in ads for Michelob Beer.
    I just recently ran across an old photo album during a recent reunion. I'll have to scan some photos and post them.

I also ran across some photos of the first Formula 40 racing in France (the very first year was mostly cats). A few of them are Randy Smyth's boat that he and Cam Lewis co-skippered.

Almost all the French boats were sponsored, and the races themselves drew unbelievable crowds (almost like Le Mans car racing)

14. brian eiland

What year was that Adrenaline raced?
    I seem to recall it was the second year, after the initial one that Randy Smyth raced with the unsponsored "Smyth Team"

15. brian eiland

Yes that was the year I was over there, the very first racing in 1985. I've got some photos somewhere.

That was the year I discovered the Fountain/Pajot company that was building the Louisiane 37' cruising cat, and made arrangements to bring one to the Annapolis Boat Show that next year.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.