Formula 40 singlehanded trimaran build log

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=====================
    Corley, the pressure on the leading edge of the rudder is enough to get the water to the ama-no pumping. Side to side I imagine they dump the one side and then let the rudder fill the other side.

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks Doug

3. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Thanks Doug.

Re the 70 footers. 10 ft was added to help prevent pitch polling with not the equivalent beam added and they are capsizing. This could be as a result of close racing and pushing the boats to the extreme. They seem to be flying extremely high air born angles.

Wild oats it appears its bow foil [ SH will tell] lifts the exceptionally huge weight running with spinnaker to get the bow up for increased speed. Now it has additionally DSS.

What's your opinion if a racing tri or cruising / racer tri on the leeward float had a similar retractable bow foil to get additional lift to prevent pitch polling when push hard in strong winds and open seas and ballast water in the floats to allow delaying reefing for extra speed [ windward float. ]. In light airs a small amount of water ballast in the leeward float would be advantages to get mast lean angle for air flow efficiency when sailing short handed or night time sailing with reduced crew watch if you do not have a canting mast.

OC

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------
    I think a foil assist ama foil and a rudder(or rudders) T-foil should take care of the problem in most cases assuming they were designed properly...

5. oceancruiser

Formular 40 singlehanded trimaran build log.

Can you please elaborate more : "Foil assist ama foil" does that mean an additional foil in each hull to what the designs are at present i.e. curved dagger board foil and rudders T foils [ Vodafone ORMA has at present time. ] Then why not the same theory with Wild Oats X1

At present in light airs they park, ORMA's 60's, when a light displacement monohull with lean, sails.

Thanks.
    I look forward to your reply.

OC

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------------------
    OC, start a different thread about this stuff and I'll participate-lets not hijack Corleys thread......

7. oceancruiser

I'll just say I don't think it's hyjacking Corleys thread. It's about trimarans build is it not. Corleys building a 40 footer and could adapt in the early stages of build if it's going to improve speed and he agrees with it before advancing to far.

OC

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I don't mind you fellas discussing it here but it might be served better with a new thread. I have no intention to change the way I build Kurt's design from the standard construction method and plans. If I was going the 40' trimaran foiling route and had the coin I'd look at Jessica Rabbit the benoit cabaret/Martin Fischer collaboration, goes like a rocket I'm sure.

Doug's thread:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/jessica-rabbit-40-foil-equipped-trimaran-46495.html

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I just wish I had the plans of a Crowther Kraken 40 again.
    It was the best big Tri I have ever sailed, and although designed as a racer, was, in my opinion a wonderful boat to have as a fast cruiser for four people. :D

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I had a visit from John Cadwallader recently to look at my projects and he spoke fondly of his Kraken 40 trimaran as well.

11. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

There'a a looking good, well built but very unkempt Buccaneer 36 or 40 moored near Whenuapai, up the Waitemata Harbour near the Greenhythe bridge; just sitting there, never goes out.

12. triling

triling New Member

Corley, thanks for the informative thread. I am at the beginning of the the decision process however my focus is on cruising with a similar planned 3 year build time. its funny how all my searches end up at Kurt's web page, I do like the flared 40, but maybe the Farrier 36? Anyhow, good luck with your build.
    Alan

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes.
    David Green and John Cadwallader were both building their Kraken 40s at the same time.
    David finished his first and Lock awarded sail No:1 to it and David named it "Ringo", after his business, "Ring Radiators".
    Ringo was subsequently sailed in the 1969 New York - Bermuda race, setting a new race record, with David, Lock and myself aboard. Fun times. :D

14. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

OS7, you got any photographs, logs, writings of that time on Ringo?

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I'll see if I can dig some up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.