Feasibility of building a multihull and cruising the tropics

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Skint For Life, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Wouldn't that be a bit like a Vatican club for swingers.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Skint for Life,

Just GO FOR IT.... I am over the top of 65 and extremely sensitive to epoxy toxicity so my build cost went through the roof...
    2 visits to intensive care to detoxify my pancreas that wanted to shut down - that is a near death experience without the visions - just nil by mouth - even water -, for a week...
    I should have built when I was lots younger... Do not defer, just DO IT NOW and relish the lifestyle and the perpetual struggle to make some more money to continue cruising...

You are based in NZ, I presume so when launched, cruise locally until about April then head north to New Caledonia, Fiji??, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands to wait out the cyclone season say in Kavieng at the top end of New Ireland PNG then turn around and head south with a cleaned bum for Australia or back through the islands... I may see you cruising as that is the patch I will cruise... Follow my build on BD-Net under "My little piece of peace" or in the "My Build" link at the bottom of this post...

Check out USED boats here http://www.yachthub.com.au/ and http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/ and this little COASTAL cheapie http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/cheapcat.html

4. stewart hyder

stewart hyder Junior Member

Hi Richard (Woods). Not sure what I said that was a compliment, just expressing personal opinions!! However, as you and JW are probably the 2 most dedicated cat designers, builders and sailors (or is that sailers) in the world, you merit respect. I like your 'Mira' design. Maybe call by in October and say hallo as we shall be in the UK and mostly in Cornwall. Ciao S

5. Skint For Life

Skint For Life Junior Member

Wow, Heaps of posts since I was last here, it all makes very interesting reading. Thanks to all for their help, advice and experiences.

I have managed to get the foot in the door on crewing boats, what an experience! My brother and I are keen to do more, although monohulls are popular here and we would both like to crew bigger multihulls.

On the subject of crewing boats a friend of mine has purchased a boat in Auckland and is doing some work on it up there to get it ready to sail, I've already told him my brother and I are keen to help crew it for the trip back down to Christchurch.

Since earlier posts we have purchased a hobie 14 turbo and sold the first cresta craft 14 foot cat. So I hope to get that out and sail it as soon as the trailer is sorted. Hopefully it should provide us with plenty of fun and we learn a thing or two sailing it.

I don't think any amount of thanks can do justice to the amount of knowledge you guys have shared here. Thanks a ton as they say in NZ :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.