Farrier 22 trailerable Folding Trimaran build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterhull, Apr 5, 2010.

1. peterhull

peterhull New user

trailerable folding Multihulls

Thank-you Ray, that is interesting feedback.

As Ian says it would depend on what degree of perfection builders want.

I wouldn't describe myself as a perfectionist but I do like to do a good job. Of course the degree of finish will affect resale value. Interesting info on the paint finish, I was wondering about this as I have read about wax remnants spoiling the paint finish etc.

I have kept an email from you many months ago when I asked about build costs and you said that it would cost about 13,000 Canadian dollars without the trailer.

I guess exchange rates change somewhat over time

I would be interested to know your current estimate for building the Scarab 22?

Thanks Ray for the info and feedback much appreciated.

Peter

2. peterhull

peterhull New user

Ray,

I think I got confused with another design that mentioned Canadian dollars

I have since looked at your email you sent some time ago and you said $20,000 for the hull beams and floats, and $10,000 for the rig and sails.

$4,000 for trailer. I assume this is Australian dollars not US dollars

Peter

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Peter,

Unless you are dead-set on building your own boat, I'll say it again.... look for a used trimaran to your liking and buy that straight away. You'll be out on the water much sooner, much cheaper and you can still sell it for what it costs you to buy it... if you buy it right, that is.

Ordinarily, I'm not about to recommend this strategy right away, because it looks away from the designs that I and others have as plan sets. But, for your process, it makes complete sense. After all, why are you looking for a small tri in the first place? I'm guessing that it's to get out on the water and sail the thing and have fun, rather than horse-around building, getting all hung-up on the process, one way or another and ultimately spending less time sailing than mired deep in the shed.

Your choice, of course, but it would seem that pragmatism should play a serious role in all of this thinking about the subject.

Both Ray and Ian have nice offerings, but unless you are really the type of guy who truly likes the "building it from scratch" process, there are far better solutions.

Best regards no matter how you solve this dilemma.

4. peterhull

peterhull New user

Yes Chris

I will be looking seriously at waht way to go this Autumn early 2011 hopefully when i have sold our Mono.

I am glad I have discussed this fully with everyone who has experience in this field and I do appreciate all of the advice I have been given.

You can be assured all of these contributions will be locked away in my thoughts until the time comes to make a decision.

Much obliged for your help

Regards

Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.