Elf 26'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by John1234, Oct 11, 2011.

1. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

Hi,

New guy here. I'm thinking and looking to purchase an Elf 26' cat and I wanted to know if there is any information known about the design? I have looked high and low and it seems like this is the only one that was ever produced:confused:

Stability? It's designed for S.A. coast? Offshore? Accommodations space below? Tankage? Performance? Ships systems?

Any information would be appreciated.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

Thats a brochure of the boat but yes, chances are that is because I can't find another anywhere.

4. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

The Designer posts on this forum regularly. I bet if you sent him an email he would try to answer any questions you would have about the boat. It looks like a nice Cat...

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I have read about them before and don't know how many are in production....in fact I can't really help you, but I see it as a weekender, inland cruiser not a real off shore cat and doubt there is much in the way of tankage, I think it has a porta pottie.

I like the elf but would like to see access to the hulls from the main cabin, now the pics show one thing and the drawings appear to show that there is access, so I'm not sure....I couldn't enlarge the drawing.

Looks like alot of boat in 26'.....:confused:

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

There is some footage of an open deck version sailing in SA on Richards promo vid. Looks a nice boat - as practical as a Strider but much roomier hulls.

7. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

Is there a link you can share. I'm still trying to figure out the maze here.

8. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  9. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

I think it may be the same one that I saw.
    No rush. I just wanted to hear some first hand accounts.

10. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

I was unable to retrieve the attachment. It kept crashing my computer. Can you reattach maybe in pdf?

11. outside the box

Pdf

PDF cut some of the build shgeet off but the review is in there

Attached Files:

12. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

13. outside the box

All good
    Ask Richard by PM anything else. He provided us with very honest information on the design even going into great detail as to why it didn't work commercially as a freestander rig. Very Honest straight up designer.

14. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

The Elf 26 started life in the mid 1980's as the Efcat that was built in Germany. It was to be a big Strider/small Skua. Sadly only three or four were built.

It then morphed into the Elf 26, which was still an open deck boat. This was built in S Africa for a few years in the early 1990's. I think maybe 20 were built (the builder stopped paying me royalties so I don't know the actual number built)

We then built an Elf mk2 with a central cuddy and built three or four. It is a transportable boat rather than trailable. It was too expensive to build. Most people spending GBP40000 bought a bigger used Prout or Catalac.

The Elf then had another variant, the Savannah 26. This was a maxi folding boat, similar in concept to my Wizard/Sango/Skoota. Unfortunately the owner wanted an Aerorig, which was too heavy and expensive for the boat. We trailed it from Savannah to Annapolis for one boat show. The next year I sailed it there singlehanded in 8 days (6 days coming home). My first ICW experience. It had daggerboards, kickup rudders and a big cabin - needed to support the rig. It sailed well and was about the same speed as a Gemini 105 and Mainecat30 at the "Try a Multihull" demo days after the show. A lot quicker than a Lagoon 38. Only one was built, but a daggerboarded, open deck Elf would still be a quick boat.

The boat being discussed is presumably the one on Vashon Island, Wa, USA. I saw it in April this year, a bit neglected and keenly for sale by the owners widow. This boat was built by the Multihull Centre, Millbrook, UK and shipped in a container to its first owner in Vancouver BC Canada. It was sold to a couple from Seattle. We met those owners a couple of years ago when we were both cruising in the Bahamas. They sold it to buy a big Fountaine Pajot and they said the Elf was a faster boat and more fun to sail.

They sold it to the guy on Vashon Island.

Although I still own the moulds, and can arrange a builder should you want to buy a new one I haven't promoted it, hence the lack of detail on my site. But if you scroll back through my early newsletters you'll see some reports from S African sailors.

One English Elf has been owned by the same couple for nearly 15 years, although since the owner is now in his 80's I guess his sailing days will soon be numbered.

You cannot get from the cuddy into the hulls, there are walkways between hull and cuddy making access forward safe and secure. And adding privacy for parents/children or guests. A bit like my 28ft Gypsy and 34ft Romany.

The boat is held together with aluminium crossbeams and it has LAR keels and fixed rudders. Standing headroom in the hulls and a large sliding hatch in the cuddy giving almost standing headroom. The galley is in the cuddy, plus a dinette/double berth. Wide single bunks in the hulls. Fully moulded.

Hope that helps and thank you for the kind comments about me

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

15. outside the box

Hi Richard
    Thanks for clearing that up for John1234
    I attach the open deck version we made inquiry about quite some time back. I believe (we were told) it is the open deck Elf. I'll back out now and leave for John1234 to contact you should he require further detail.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.