easy, fast to build multihull with simple rig

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by sailor305, May 15, 2012.

1. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Mate,

You'll be sweet as long as those are wood matchsticks with a proper 8:1 scarf!

To put this all into perspective; consider a Searunner 37 was originally meant to cost the same as a full size quality family car. This was a basic boat, no electronics, outboard, oil lamps, a few hank-on headsails. In the US today that is 30-40K USD. Probably works pretty well anywhere as a guide.

My Vardo uses maybe 70% the ply of a Searunner, but I am going heavier on all the glass work.

Jeff

2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Hello <waves>,

Sorry I haddn't answered this earlier, I've been distracted by illness and other inconveniences...

Gooday 'guss' With great respect - maybe I haven't got it round the wrong way ???

Just a joke :)

I'm not sure I properly understood your 2nd para - did you mean - that there are lots of boats for sale around the world & at very good prices ??? Cause - there sure is ! !

Specifically I was commenting that the sale prices of foam boats are a lot higher than most others. So for a given size and type, say a 30' tri, foam may add $5k to the hull skins but the resale over say an equivalent ply boat is a LOT more than $5k.

But as you say, and we have discussed this before, there are a lot of cheap boats around and if sailing is your aim rather than building for building's sake, or some special requirement, you'd be mad to build.

Hope everyone is well and happy :D

3. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Certainly aren't many cruising mulithulls in the US "cheap". Last thing I saw that might possibly fit your suggestion was an older foam Horstman tri. Asking price was $40K and needed quite a bit of work. Seems to have sold not sure for how much.

If your definition of "special requirements" means you'd be happy family cruising in a Macgregor cat or Stilleto then by all means, crazy to built something. There are a few old prouts around in 30-50K range as well but I would imagine we all want boats that sail well?

4. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Well, maybe not so fast as I almost couldn't reply to this thread! I launched the Vardo about 18 hours ago. Hope to be sea trailing under sail within a few days, but weather has turned a bit thunder stormy and have some rental property issues to attend to.

Honestly do not have a tally of hours or $$$ but roughly I can say I spend maybe 10% of the total cost on the interior cushions I had made by a small local shop. They're perfect, but maybe almost too nice to tread on! Probably somewhere around 3500 hours maybe as many as 4000 about bang on with the Glenda project Tiki 38. Same displacement boat. He looks to be spending about 1/2 my overall budget on his launching.

New pics on my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Congratulations Jeff, A big mile stone, I hope you drank the magnum of champagne :)

What is the cost difference from on the Tiki 38, gear? Materials? Time?

As I chug away finishing the 3rd coat of epoxy on my interior redo I'm wondering if the Gougeons actually discouraged home building when people figured out how much time coating can take. It'll be nice to finally have things painted up after cruising with the roughed in version....

Cushions can be expensive, I'll stitch basic ones, lumpy enough to use eventually but for now I'm getting another season out of the vintage Naugahyde from the 70s.....

6. cavalier mk2

Take it easy on the seatrials, thunderstorms aren't your friend. The shakedown cruise will be fun. Post some pics, the Vardo looks like a boat many will be interested in.

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

You can see Jeff's blog here

http://sailingcatamarans.blogspot.ca/

As you can see his Vardo is floating about 150mm above its marks right now, which means he built to the designed weight of about 3.2T - pretty impressive.

The first (modified) Vardo was launched in the Philippines a few months ago. The owner said

"Just an up date on Alona Blue, she is 99% finished and we sail her at least once a week. We have been doing some Island hopping and sunsets and she sails great! I am so happy with her performance and handling. I have 6" head room and a beautiful Cat............. I could not be happier........! She is very balanced on all points of sail

You must feel good that you have helped to create yacht designs to give so many people their dreams to live........... "

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs/4-30-to-40ft-catamarans/225-vardo

It is of course, very much easier to precoat all ply panels before building the boat

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. cavalier mk2

Thanks Richard, I'l check out the blogs.

I precoated all the furniture panels before installing but along the way got inspired and stripped all the hull interior and cabin overhead paint for epoxy coating. I'm pleased with the results but for sure the roof would have been easier to pre coat!

9. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Congratulations Jeff! She looks great. I've been following your build from the beginning. Here's wishing you and your family many happy days afloat.

if you ever get up St Simons way and need anything give me a shout.

Charly

10. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

CAV

Was thinking of you today. I needed to fit the cabin top winches today, but intended to put 3mm G10 between the winch and cabin top. Problem was, never cut them or painted them.

So broke out the saw and the Latex porch slate grey. Put 2 coats on in 1/2 hour drying with a hair dryer. My 7y/o and I got the winches and stoppers fitted today. I was amazed at how good a job he did on the deck side with the screwdriver. Used butyl tape so will re torque them in a few days with a stronger set of hands.

11. Boatguy30

Boatguy30 Senior Member

Tiki 38 vs Vardo

Almost exact same cruising and light designed displacement. I would imagine materials list about the exact same.

Hans Boortman in SW Florida has build a Tiki 38 and is currently one year further into a Saturn build than I was with the Vardo. He works on it mostly everyday, but is near 70.

He told me that the Vardo would be the same work as a Tiki when I showed him the plans a week or so after I got the first drawings (which he took 7 years I think with the last 2 or 3 full time) Again, I did not log hours but it's seems around 3500-4000. Same as Neil with Glenda. I stopped counting when the galley trim was finished a few nights ago.

12. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Looking good Jeff! Thats a great cruising boat you've built there. Your family are going to love it.

13. cavalier mk2

Great blog, can't believe I've been too busy to see it before. Looks like a good boat for the family, I remember when my crew was that age, now we are getting ready for a cruise North before he goes to college. Long day, one more to finish the coating, just call me sticky....

The Vardo has to be more practical than the Tiki for the family, sometimes you don't want to get wet going into the other hull...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.