Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Multihulls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Easy 37, any thoughts?

Looking to build my own cat boat soon so I've been searching plans for some time now. One of the plans I keep coming back to is the Easy 37 or Easy 11.6 from Pete Snell. Anybody know anything about him or his plans?
Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Rep: 773 Posts: 876
Good solid boats

Hello

I haven't sailed an Easy but they are pretty numerous on the East Coast of Australia. Peter Snell built one of Australia's first strip plank multis but then decided to go backto ply - a much under rated material. The boats are good cruisers and the people on them like them. They take less time to build than the more expensive Duflex cats by Schionning and such not so much because of any special design but because most builders finish the interior as clear or painted ply - the Duflex and foam boats are usually well faired inside which adds weight and increases build time hugely.

Good points about ply - less toxic and less itchy to work with. Still have to do some glassing. Snell recommends Gaboon ply which is from Indonesian rainforests - I do not agree with this.

On the whole good boats IMHO. Less money in and less out when you sell but a solid cruiser.

cheers
Phil Thompson
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Thanks for the reply. I think I've pretty much settled on building one of the Easy boats, just looking for some feedback or if I've missed anything important. I've built a few small plywood boats but this will be the biggest so far.
Now just got to find the room, cash, shed,,,
Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Rep: 9 Posts: 170
as someone who built one theres a lot of info from other builders here http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/index....fd&mforum=easy
and here
http://easycat.50webs.com/
as for me if i do it again itll be his 12m that ill build its a schmick looking boat that has evolved out of the others for little extra time and materials
sean