Displacemente Pahi 63: how is this possible?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by eiasu, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

That isn't what he said. He said they will have "different displacements". They displace a different volume depending on the density of the liquid which they are floating upon but they do not have different displacements. This is an important distinction.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Size, weight and displacement are different things. Saw an ad in the paper that said; Gorgeous Blond 24 year old, 36,24,36, bright green eyes, only 109 lbs. Athletic . So I contacted her, ran to the nearest pub. When I got there it was all true, except she was 4' tall and displaced that bar stool very well.

It is all relative and weight doesn't matter if you can spread it.

3. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

YES !!
    Thank you

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

That is more or less what he said in post #13. To clarify, at a loaded displacement of 28000lbs in seawater the Pahi will have a volume of 438cubic feet immersed, take the same boat and set it into freshwater and 448 cubic feet will be immersed to displace the same 28000lbs.

Steve.

5. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

It is so difficult to have a precise scientific definition of weight and displacement? What i read are more personal opinion that a definition :p;)

6. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

OK Eiasu,

Now that you understand it try to answer this post #1 and then check the thread to see if you're right . . . . . ;)

BTW Greenwood, thanks for that one, I found it later but it still was educational [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Angel

7. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

Thank you two, Angélique and Greenwod, that was educational,
    of course i was wrong i answered "the same" than reading rayk i understood.
    What i did not manage to translate is "This may seem rudimentary for some but it really throws the light switch on for some when learning the basic tenants of displacement", i can guess what does it mean, but i cannot match with that my dictionary says.

8. Angélique

Maybe ‘‘tenant’’ is meant here in the French way as ‘‘in compliance with’’ which would give something like this . . . .

‘‘This may seem rudimentary for some but it really throws the light switch on for some when learning the basics in compliance with displacement’’

But I'm not sure . . . . . . :confused:

French: ‘‘tenant compte de’’
    =
    in English: ‘‘thinking of’’ -- ‘‘mindful of’’ -- ‘‘mindful’’ -- ‘‘considering’’ -- ‘‘seeing that’’ -- ‘‘with due regard’’ -- ‘‘in compliance with’’ -- ‘‘taking into account’’ --

Cheers,
    Angel

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Dgreenwood made a simple spelling mistake and the word he was meaning to type was "tenet". Try that in your dictionary it should make more sense.

10. Angélique

Thanks Corley, spelling mistakes are harder to understand in a foreign language than in one's mother tongue as in the foreign language not all the alternatives are known or quickly available in the mind, ‘‘tenets’’ sure make more sense here than what I thought of above, thanks . . . :)

Cheers,
    Angel

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I think the displacement of the Pahi 63 was so light because it was not all cluttered up with Dick Newicks "Modern Inconveniences". :eek:

12. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

The Pahi is a much smaller boat, of course its lighter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.