daggerboard rudder

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rberrey, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I used a simple daggerboard rudder which also kicked up if it hit something on a 24ft uldb monohull i designed 22 yrs ago,it was fairly simple to build starting with a sheetmetal female mold to build the blade (a method used i coppied from Malcolm Tennant) The blade was then waxed and the trunk layed up over it, i used fabricated ss gudgeons which were glassed to the trunk,the trailing edge of the trunk was split and bungee cord wrapped around it, if the blade were to hit debris it would spread the trunk and pop out the back. We never had it happen though and changed to a rudder in a drum system a number of years ago.
    Steve.

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I looked at the prints of the kickup rudder option for my build and the lower section is the same as the dagger board. Below the waterline it pertrudes 3" under the hull, with pogo,s rudder system could I use my dagger board design for the rudder and would it need the 3" protrusion under the hull? rick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.