Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Multihulls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 02-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Multihulls ...

Rep: 10 Posts: 51
Cylinder Mold by Kurt Hughes

Hi Folks,

someone has made experiences with building a catamaran in cylinder mold technique after plan sets from Kurt Hughes? I am primary interested in the quality of the drawings/informations and possible problems therewith during the realization by a (semi) professional staff. All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Othmar

Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 AM

Rep: 820 Posts: 1,620
Othmar, google up themultihull.com forums, you gotta sign up to view- theres some poeple post on there that have built to Kurts designs. All the best from Jeff.

Last edited by waikikin : 02-21-2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: wrong words
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Multihulls ...

Found a lot of informations

Thank you Waikikin,

the hint with themultihulls.com was successful. Found a lot of informations there about. CM seems to be viewed with care.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Rep: 70 Posts: 101
Hello Othmar,

I would like to know more about this construction method. Do you get any feedback by people who actually have built a CM hull?
Which boat were you planning to build?

Simon
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Multihulls ...

55 feet with CM

We think about a 55 feet day charter design. I am looking also for people which have made experiences by building a boat in this dimensions with CM.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Rep: 70 Posts: 101
Othmar,

I would be interested in the 48' catamaran also built by

www.boatshop.com.ph/portfolio/Hughes49.html

2 55' have been built by

http://www.seaislandboatworks.com/past.htm

Did you ask Kurt if he can give you any references or contacts. I think that if would make sense to hire someone who has already built a big CM hull for the critical stages. Why not ask Kurt to come out to Turkey for the beginning. like the vacuum bagging and the bending.
How is your infrastructure? Can you buy reasonable and well priced plywood and epoxy?

I would be interested in combining projects so that efforts could be focused.

Simon
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Multihulls ...

Hi Simon,

where are you located? Or do you think about a discussion group to focus the effort?

I have looked at the websites you named. Sea Island Boatworks was new for me. Very fine pics about the building steps for Moondance and Palmetto Breeze. They give a good impression of what is awaiting someone.

I discussed with Kurt about support during the start phase, and I think for newbies it is a must, to get help of someone who is familiar with CM method.

Our infrastructure is very fine, we even haven't one. But it needs around 4 weeks to install a practicable boatyard.

For the moment we have decide to move the building date to autumn 2008. The preliminaries needs to much time. It makes no sense for us to finish a boat in winter, when our season starts in May.

So we have enough time to learn more about CM or CC, may train on a smaller project.

Othmar
Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

Rep: 228 Posts: 378
Kurt has a CM information video which is well worth a look IMO.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 12
I built a 65' cat with KHSD cylinder molded hulls. Displacement of about 66,000lbs. I like the system a lot. Kurt was easy to work with despite the amount of grief I gave him.

Do keep in mind that hulls are not the whole boat. There's a lot of other good reasons to use KHSD.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Multihulls ...

Thanks to all for the informations. We get the plans from Kurt, but we will defer it until autumn. We start now with a smaller project first to train the staff. Afterwards the work with 55 feet will become easier