CSC 30 Catamaran- the coastal passage

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by peterchech, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Thanks for the heads up Cat. epoxy first, then ply, got it. :D

2. Freq1Flyer

Freq1Flyer Junior Member

Kite Sailing

Boston,
    Here is a very interesting video of a 30' tri Sailing a kite rig!
    You aren't far off on your comment!

http://youtu.be/4mFXxroPmqg

Aloha

1 person likes this.
  3. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

I gotta laugh at this.....Surely you jest

4. david@boatsmith

We can build flat panels. I have had several discussions with Richard about supplying his clients with panels for a kit.

5. david@boatsmith

I can't buy 1088 at $50 a sheet for even 1/4" I would think that this must be Chinese. I pay $71 a sheet for 5/8" H60 Divinycell, about$10 a sheet more for H80

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm pretty sure I included a link, its a bulk price, wholesale, I've got a contractors license, and no its not Chinese, I'm really leery of any Chinese products.

7. david@boatsmith

No link. I would be very interested in this scource. I like plywood a lot. I ha.ve built many boats of plywood. I like to build boats. I can't build themif I can't sell them It is a whole lot harder to sell a new boat made of wood as compared to a comparable boat built of glass. That's just the way it is. Course these days it's damned hard to make a living building boats of any material.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hi Dave, not sure were I left that link but I'll find it, I know I wrote it down somewhere but I'd think any of the bulk distributors would have it in that range if your buying the three pallets worth I had spec'd out for that cat design I'm working on.

I'll stumble across it again I'm sure and I'll be sure to send it along.

Cheers
    B

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Picnic Weekender Powercat

This is a bit bigger vessel than brought up under the original posting, BUT it is one that would lend itselt to 'flat panel' construction. She is built with saturated wood epoxy method.

I took these original photos back in 2007-8 down near Pattaya, Thailand. Just a week ago March 2012, I had occassion to revist that marina, and WOW I found the same vessel still docked there. She is doing a steady day charter business. I also made contact the crew and got the owners info. He is just having a 2'nd and 3rd one built.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/weekender-picnic-powercat-33751.html

I'll post some more photos I just recently took, as soon as I have time to get them off my camera.

I'll also have some thinks to say about 'flat panel / composite panel' construction materials and technics that I've been looking at for another client, and looked at there in Thailand. Meanwhile have a look at this discussion

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/are-cats-made-from-duflex-panel-kits-strong-22948.html" Are Cats Made from Duflex Panel Kits Strong ?

Attached Files:

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

David, tell me more about yourself and your facilities
    ...by private email at:

runningtideyachts@gmail.com
    Brian

11. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

I went for a sail on an 18m harryproa last week. The owner is a power
    boater who decided to try sailing, wanted something a bit different and
    decided a harry would fit the bill. He bought the plans for a strip
    planked 15m, stretched it to 18, built a table, taught himself infusion and
    built it from flat Polycore/glass panels. Not the prettiest boat in the
    world, and not completed yet (90% done, 90% to go. ;-)) but he is having a great time, and reckons it has cost less than a pretty boat half it's size.

Polycore is (was, I have not checked for a while) much cheaper than foam. Used with vinylester resin, the panels are low cost and quicker than scarphing ply.

Rather than make a mould quality table, it is easier to make it from formica faced mdf with flash tape over the joins and spray sandable gel coat on as the first coat. This is easily sanded to prepare it for top coat.

To really save time fairing, ensure that all joins are rebated in the infusion. It is much easier to fill and fair a hollow than a hill.

There is a video of the boat sailing at http://youtu.be/LE7jw-yjTmQ and some photos at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/harryproa/photos/album/587010865/pic/list

rob

1 person likes this.
  12. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

13. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

The bows were one of the areas the owner decided to experiment with. They are very blunt and are top of the list to be fixed. This is pretty easy as they are a shaped polystyrene block glued onto the watertight bulkhead and glassed over. The job will probably be done on the beach.

The original harrys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8chR6DAFjGA had fairly blunt bows, as it was thought that they would sail nose down. They also throw up a bit of water, although none of the owners feel it is enough of a problem to do anything about it. In fact, most of them like it. As nose down has not been a problem, on the latest boats the bows are sharper.

In strong winds, big waves, the boats are dry. As the speed gets up, regardless of waves and wind, the lee bow throws up increasing amounts of water, but little or none of it gets to the bridge deck, and none gets to the steering wheel. The windward bows are also quite blunt and at speed water tends to climb the sides of the boat, run across the deck and over the cockpit cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOsgqrO59A This is very irritating, but is easily fixed with a low ridge around the edge.

The second video also shows a lot of water coming off the external rudders. This reduces significantly when the rudder housings are faired, and is almost non existent on the new boats where the rudders are on the beams, rather than alongside the hulls.

rob

1 person likes this.
  14. Gus7119

Gus7119 Senior Member

CSC 30 A GREAT BOAT READ ON:
    I realise this is an old thread. But the criticism of this boat is unjust. It stipulated it was built by a boat builder delivering these 'Types' of boats for over 20yrs. The plans use box beams and are stipulated as harbour coastal boat, that can be made for cruising/ ocean voyages. R Wood has some gr8 designs but has a vested intrest when ridiculing this boat. After constructing one over a 1 month period with extra bulkheads and a slightly diffrent design to give more cuddy room I found it fast to build easy to fit out and a great boat at sea. That boat is now sailing through Asia and has been through some of the roughest weather I have seen.

As a bear bones design thar you can build on this is a great boat. Built with just as much structural integrity as an Richard Woods design. And the fact Richard said in one of his posts hed never use ply for an ocean going vessel then sells plans for boats that he promotes as ocean cruises made from ply is what made me decide not to buy his plans. You cannot run your mouth off about one design only to do exactly the same thing.
    So to sum up I am constructing a boat for myself using this basic design with slight modifications to stiffen it up for ocean going. I have built one already with many 1000 of hours now under its belt through some of the roughest weather ive sailed in without even a grown and Ive been at it 40yrs. Theres also one that was built by two mates over two weeks for use on the hawksberry river thats also done Sydney harbour and Newy Runs. Now I must say I was a little scared till I inspected the boat before saying if I would sail on her but found even though they followed the plans as outlined it seemed like a good little coastal boat. I would even sail her to the Barrier reef.
    So dont listen to the doubters. Boats have been made for 1000s of years much more flimsy than this and sailed the globe. Make sure you do it properly and as questions of those who know and you can have a grat boat for littke outlay that'll give you years of great service.

15. yam_fzr

yam_fzr Junior Member

Not that Richard Woods needs defending as he is a renowned designer of catamarans with a proven track record and is a naval architect, but, where did you read that he'd never use ply for ocean going vessels?
    I've been following Richard for a long time and I've never seen that claim. It would be pretty amusing to find it since he actually built an "Eclipse" in ply then sailed it on the Ocean himself.
    Everything I've seen him write shows he understands building materials, construction and load analysis. He's written about ply and says it has a lot of advantages, it floats, it's stiff etc.

Also, the claim that the boat you made has just as much structural integrity as a Woods designs. There are a lot of Woods design's. Which one did you compare it against and can you show me the calculations for the loads on each to substantiate this claim?

I'd love to see them and I'm happy to spend the time double checking your design calculations for the loading's on both vessels. I'm sure Richard has better things to do, but I'm quite bored right now. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.