Crowther X-10

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by 4sail, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 4sail

4sail Junior Member

Any information or history on the 33' (Brett) Crowther X-10 that was designed in the mid 1990's? I believe one or more were built by "Xtreme Multihulls" in Huskisson, NSW.

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I have a section of hull from it down stairs that almost has more bog than boat
    I believe it needed a hull extension to fix the problems of all this extra weight.

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Just went and tried to find it but couldn't
    It's down there amongst the "collection" somewhere.

4. jamez

jamez Senior Member

heres a copy of the 1995 MM article and a few pages from the old on-line study plans for the 'Flotsam 10/12 it morphed in to.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Great research Jamez! cool to see the history on here. Flotsam has gotta be like ............ a pretty "game" name for a design! I wonder where any might be now. All the best from Jeff.

6. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

7. 4sail

4sail Junior Member

Thanks to both Jamez for the X-10 and Flotsam 10/12 info, and Sabahcat for the X-10 ad - very good reading! From the X-10 ad, apparently there were some problems with nose diving that necessitated lengthening the bows. Wonder what became of the molds...

Do we know of any builders of the 10m/12m Flotsam design that might still have a copy of the plans?

8. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Be careful

I don't want to get in trouble with lawyers and such so I will couch my terms generally.

I sailed a cat in a race in Pittwater more than a few years ago. It wouldn't tack, I am not kidding we had to eventually had to wear it round - it had amazingly high aspect foils, it was slower than bridgedeck cats it should have been faster than, I couldn't control it going to windward and I was worried about nosediving and it rounded up even with full helm. After we retired (we were last) the main beam had permanently deflected and the pod was sitting differently than when we had started the race. Last I heard the owner was very unhappy.

I was actually there to test the boat for a mag but went never wrote the test.

Make sure you buy plans of proven boats.

9. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Catsketcher, you say you couldn't control the cat going to windward (because of weather helm?) - just guessing, but sounds like there was too much weight forward. How heavy is the nacelle? To me it looks too long and too large.

10. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Interesting stuff.......

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  11. Wildside247

Wildside247 New Member

Love these Podcats! Despite the apparent initial design flaws, I reckon the concept has great potential for racing and lightweight cruising!

Thanks for info!

12. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Why do you like them? slower and less space than a tri the same length

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.