Crowther design 226A (42 foot cruising cat)

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DennisRB, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Does anyone know much about this design? Not much is coming up in internet searches.

Attached Files:

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Dennis

Looks like a No95 with some later styling & removal of bulbs, some where I have a catalogue from around 2000..... the hard part would be finding it.
    Extreme? multis that was based at Woolamia did at least one similar maybe about 1993.
    Jeff.

3. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

4. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Is it the pre-cursor to the below mentioned design as part reposted from the bullfrog verbatium discussion on anarchy? Doesn't Bloomfield design hold rights to some or all the Crowther designs? Perhaps they could help you out in findinG more information just
    For what it is worth the repost is below.
    * I built a Brett Crowther designed SP40 Cat and launched it in 2001, its a great cat with lots of volume and good speed for a 40ft cruising cat but even though the design was sold as a "blue water" cruiser I am reluctant to take it offshore as it hobbyhorses extremely badly when in a seaway and even though it has 35000NM under her belly I don't want to sail her to New Cal or Fiji but id sail Bullfrog to these places and live with the smaller livieaboard space which I don't need anyway.

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

If that boat is the one in the photos then no surprises there. The bow sections are really fine pretty much all the way back to the mast

Locks boats never did well in Europe because they pitched so much

Richard Woods

6. Twiggyman

Twiggyman Junior Member

Crowther Design portfolio - 226

Here is a scan of design 226 from Crowther's Design Portfolio circa 1990 ~

Design 226 is pictured beside Design 106, which is a Catana 40'.

It appears that Design 226 was a development, or similar, to the Catana.

My favorite catamaran design.

Attached Files:

7. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Re hobbyhorsing: The builder owner said it was a great seaboat. Note, he is not the one selling it.

Twiggy. Thanks this is a 226A, not sure what the A means but it is 43 foot, but that could have just been added length. Also it reputably weighs 6.5-7.0 ton rather than the 5.2 mentioned in your study plan. But who knows with what gear on board that was measured. This boat seems to have much more space on it than a early Crowther catana, and has as much space as a C431

I gues since its your favorite, it must be a decent boat! Feel free to ramble on about everything you know about it.

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

The SP 40 is a very different style of boat to similar length Lock Crowther cats, quite a big difference in fineness ratio....& space.
    Jeff.

9. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

10. Ozjon

Ozjon New Member

I wasn't aware of this website until today (A cat sailing friend gave me a "heads-up" and told me about Crowther #226 comments) - so I've just joined!

I built a #226 about 10 years ago in Airex-epoxy sandwich.
    I still own it, but I'm now too old to sail it much more.

I've sailed about 8000 miles in it - Bass Strait, up and down the East coast Aus, up to the Philippines and back and cruising the Philippines. A great comfortable boat which sails well and handles sea conditions well.

An excellent sea-going boat!

It has NEVER hobby-horsed!

The bow design is brilliant! Crowther got that right!

The bow cuts through waves very well without losing much way, thanks to the fine bow at the waterline, but the wide flare (only in the top 25%) prevents the bow from burying in big waves. That is particularly important if you are surfing down big waves!

I've never had green water over the bow (even in 40kt winds, gusting to 55kts with 4m seas).

My #226 has 4 full-sized double berths, a head in each hull, and a big galley in the main cabin.

The designer's estimate of 5.5 tons cruising weight was a bit optimistic! - more like 6 or more tons (but I double skinned the hulls below the waterline for added ruggedness).

On my MEL- Philippines trip, I carried a lot of cargo (boat building material, glass, epoxy, paint, fittings, heaps of tools, etc., plus about 3/4ton of fuel and water) and weighed about 6.5-7 tons.

On that trip, we readily made 150 miles per day and occasionally 200 miles - just taking things easy, (with heavy-weight cruising sails, cruising, not racing, and with amateur, back-packer crew).

If you want to know more about a Crowther #226 - just ask.

Cheers,
    Ozjon

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Ozjon

Ozjon New Member

Here are a couple of photos of my boat (beached for a water-line cleaning) at Mindanao, Philippines.

The wooden gang-plank was a temporary item, only carried while cruising the Philippines.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

13. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Awesome boat. Thanks for sharing.

I have been living aboard ours and love the boat. It seems quick enough. Cruising speeds are good. We can easily average over 8k as long as there is ok wind. I haven't done that many long trips but have averaged over 10k for a few hours and hit the teens often. Max I have done is 17.2, but the builder said he had it up to 24K. Today saw an average of just under 8k and max of 11k sailing for 2 hours back from Tangalooma the Scarborough under just the jib in 20-25k. The main is at the sailmaker. Last time we averaged about 9-10k on that same trip.

The 226A version has the engines in the back rather that in the middle of the hulls and the bridgedeck is longer with double beds forward of the cabin which makes it heavier than the 226. This engine location means saildrives which I am not a fan of.

There is a longer thread with more details here. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=155740&hl=

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Has anyone got any info on what Stuart Bloomfield is doing now?.

15. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.