Cross 27

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rubyjeaan, Mar 19, 2012.

1. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

there was a cross 38r for sale down here in Houston for awhile.I know where its being stored as the owner never sold it I dont think...

He wanted 20k back in 2009ish and I almost bought it. Couple of things scared me away though. mid/late 70s build in Panama with questionable materials. Im pretty sure I remember seeing large oval knots in the ply walls in the head/shower area typical of indoor/outdoor plywood. I also remember seeing nails/screws sticking through to the inside but I cannot remember if they were rusted.

Boat checked out with almost ZERO spongy areas though and felt solid. Build just made me damn nervous...

I totally agree about the looks of a cross.... amazing! They look and feel like a good solid cruiser capable of decent 10-13kts speed..

Here are some pics of her...

DSCF0136.jpg

DSCF0130.jpg

IMAGE_032.jpg

IMAGE_036.jpg

postpaint1.jpg

2. zicazoo

zicazoo New Member

my 27 is the one pictured on jeff turners website. i know a bit of its history but there are some holes i would like to know about. 1979 when built to about 2000 ish ok its a big hole. if any one knows about this boat let me know. as well if any one is around sf bay i'd be glad to take you sailing on it.

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Try sailing more free to windward. We don't try to point with the hot monos and have found the added velocity makes up for it. It also works better with the LAR keel....Have you tried Jeff Turner for history? I'm not sure how much he knows but it's worth a try ...Norm Cross was very good about responding to questions and sending out plans but Jeff might take some persistence..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.