Crab Claw Riggung On Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by GOTTABSOMEWHERE, Aug 19, 2008.

1. waltm

waltm Junior Member

I don't think he's kidding. If I follow it correctly you would be using the mast also as the forward part of the tripod, that is why you are attaching it to the bow, like the shellboats do with a third member
    http://www.shellboats.com/images/cccc3_big.jpg

And as far as mounting the mast with on top of the frame with the luff track facing up you would tack the sail over the top around to the other side although I'm not sure how easy this would be if there is a large boom on the end of the sail but might work well if the sail were boom less, sort of like an asymmetric spin?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You got it WaltM

My diagram was a bit crude, but I was doing it at work and trying to stop the bosses looking.

The other point is that the end of the mast doesnt have to be solidly fixed to the bow, it can run on a bit of a traveller so that when you run before the wind, it can be moved over to one side or the other to get a bit more wind from behind.

And that doesnt have to be too important, because to get top speed running before the wind, you actually want to Tack downwind like the high performance multihulls do.

Yes, a boom would prevent tacking, but usually these boats dont have a boom because there is nowhere to pivot it from, and way too long to control as it sweeps almost the entire hull.

The Shellboats method is strange because the boom prevents getting a curve in the sail from bow to stern, which is where all the lift is. If you have a boom, then all the curve is from bottom to top, and the only curve produced is by lifting the boom. The other problem is that a large amount of the sail is high above the deck, making the tipping pressure much higher for not much more 'drive'

They use a tripod, but the foot of the main spar is fastened to the bow. If they are going to have a solid leading tripod member, they could at least allow a bit of side to side movement to be able to place the sail a bit better.

As far as raising the main spar, thats a doddle. You fasten both legs to the main spar, tie foot of the main spar to the bow, and then you fasten only ONE of the spars to the side of the hull. By pushing the OTHER spar, the mast will magically raise the main spar, until you can fasten the final spar to the other side of the boat.

Get some cloth and string and bits of wood, and you will soon get the idea.

3. GOTTABSOMEWHERE

GOTTABSOMEWHERE Junior Member

EREKA !!!!
    I like the idea of "adjusting" the foot of the main spar at the bow.
    What about a block there or main sheet type of adjustmant ?
    Sheet adj at bow, and sheet adj on lower boom/spar. ...........WOW?

Boom /lower spar does bend somewhat and would give the list you referred to
    I like it ....I like it....
    If the 8' A works I can just flop it down and zip down the highway
    THANKS

4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Attached Files: