Corsica 15 R A New Design for Solo Sailing

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Chris Ostlind, Jul 15, 2010.

1. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Chris, I've noticed that you don't seem to be selling plans through Duckworks these days. Is there somewhere on the web where your plans are available? I checked your site, but didn't notice a link to plan sales.

2. kellan_hatch

kellan_hatch New Member

I've been looking at the Corsica 15 for a couple of days and I have to say I think it's a really exciting design, hull flying be damned. I would like to see a drawing of how the ama attachments work. It sounds like a very simple, solid solution. I hope to build one of Chris' solo trimarans at some point. I'm already a big fan of his work, especially since I started sailing his XCR design a few years ago. I continue to be very impressed with the design sense, in terms of both practicality and aesthetics. For one thing, it's the only boat I've owned that makes my wife feels safe and comfortable enough to go cruising with me, which I consider pretty good for an expedition canoe. My last trip was a solo overnighter out and back to an island camp. Just before dawn a heavy wind whipped up and I did the 20 mile return trip double reefed. I would never have thought that a double-reefed wave smasher through thin water would stand out as one of my best sails ever, but I was skipping along happily over the whitecaps on a bream reach at 9 mph on tiny scraps of sail and having a blast. Great fun. Keep it up, Chris!

Kellan

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. kellan_hatch

kellan_hatch New Member

I don't consider a fanciful computer-generated image to be a legally binding contract. It's a sweet design that I am seriously considering for my next build and frankly, if I did ever did get it up on one hull it would probably scare the hell outta me!

Kellan

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    Kellan, in a boat designed for it it would be a blast! Good luck with your decision....

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

If flying a hull is your bag then most fast cats will fulfill that requirement.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    They are a lot of fun-but not quite as fast as a tri designed to fly the main hull because the tri has so much more righting moment for a given length. But
    it's not quite that simple-adding enough power to a small tri to fly the main hull has consequences that have to be addressed from the get go.
    ---------
    PS- I've done extensive research on small trimarans as well as designing and building them.

8. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Doug, You don't need to pedantically explain design and your build history to Jamez - he knows plenty about all types of boats - and you too.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    Thanks, Gary.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

A very positive development: (from Sailing Anarchy)

"This approach came from sailing sea kayaks that had been morphed into trimarans. Another source of input on this design came from simply trolling around a marina, looking at all the boats that were trying to enhance protective comfort levels with the installation of after market dodgers. Putting the two ideas together resulted in the design study.

I guess the next thing for me to do is to build it, drive it around in all sorts of conditions and find out if the concept has merit...

Thanks to all you guys who have offered your suggestions and questions. I'm going to make a few changes to the design and then start cutting some wood.

I hope to see some of you guys on the water".

Chris O

-------------------
    Sure, there's much to be learned here through a prototype. I'm not saying that it will be groovy right out of the box, though it would be nice if it were more groovy than not the first time around. I've been swimming with boats that broke in the past and had to sidestroke them to shore, so the ugly factor has long since been gouged out of my embarrassment cycle. I'm prepared to explore various solutions along the way in order to arrive at a truly nice final iteration. I've got nothing to hide as some implied, trade secret process, so the build process will be documented on my website. Equally, any test sailing will be out in the open with full disclosure be it positive or negative. Along the way, I encourage you guys to jump-in with any suggestions you may have and I'll seriously consider the input as it applies to the final form.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=110839&pid=2927224&st=0&#entry2927224 post #19 & #28

11. Eralnd44

Eralnd44 Wanderer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.