construction sheltering in hawaii?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SRC, Oct 17, 2010.

1. SRC

SRC New Member

Im thinking of build a catamaran in Hawaii, probably a wharram tiki 21, do you need to have a shelter to build something like that?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Attached Files:

3. hoytedow

The northwest quadrants get less rain than any other part of the islands due to topography and how it affects air movements, precipitation, etc.

4. hoytedow

Which island do you inhabit?

5. SRC

SRC New Member

I'll be living in oahu, I lived there once before and it really depends on where you are, ive been in places where it rains alot, and where ir nearly never rains. So to build a wharram cat, should you protect it from rain? I am totallt new to this think it would be a fun project. I swear ive seen (online) people building cats like this unsheltered; and sheltered.

6. hoytedow

Okay. You will have to plan your activities with a weather eye. Inside may be better for a lot of things, outside for others. Learn from observation and ask the islanders about their experience.

Where on the island are you?

Attached Files:

7. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Where will you leave your tools?? your epoxy?? your unused sheets of ply??

Will they still be there the next morning??

Lucky you if yes

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

SRC,

You do not need anything to build a boat, but there are such things a comfort and protection, trying to glue pieces of ply athat have been wet from overnight rain do not go very well.

Just make yourself a simple shelter, or use an existing one. A Warram 21 is not a long build and the cover will be well worth the effort.

9. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Go the greenhouse

I have built every boat I have built (at least for part of the construction) under a plastic tunnel tent. They are used as Greenhouses for flower growing.

I start by getting 6 metres of 1 inch gal pipe. I bend it around a tree to make a nice hoop. I get 2 metre lengths of straight pipe and drive it into the ground. I connect the hoop to the driven in posts with a larger sleeve. Do this every 2 metres. When you get far enough drape some white polythene sheeting over the structure. To pull the stucture tight on the sides wrap a piece of 1 inch by 1/2 inch scrap wood around the sheeting three times. Then screw it into the pipe. Continue all the way along one edge. Then go to the other side and pull really hard and do the same. Continue along the other side keeping the sheet very tight. To make doors you can use normal doors or just put a piece of rag into an end and wrap some line around it so that it forms a ball. Tie this onto a nearby tree or house. My current one is connected to the house. Probably $500 all up. Lasted 4 years so far but it doesn't like the dog running on top of it

Attached Files:

10. W17 designer

W17 designer Senior Member

Yes, I agree with Richard, Landlubber and others. A shelter of some sort is a great comfort against the unexpected. You can always take your tools somewhere more secure so the shelter does not really need to be closed. After all, how secure is a sheet of plastic wall anyway! I personally prefer to work outside but having something over top is wonderful as it not only protects against sudden showers but white poly also filters the sun so that it's like a 150 sqft fluorescent light ;-)
    Go to this URL and scroll down and you'll see a simple design that typically costs just $150 to put up. While its certainly not hurricane proof, with a rope on each corner, this one has twice survived 60 mph winds and looks all set for a winter too. The trick is to let the wind blow thro in this case and not load the structure with high end load. So you lift the ends and just cover your work on the windward side.
    http://smalltrimarandesign.com/Trimaran-Articles/waters-edge1.html

I actually have a W17 builder in Hawai who I understand was to built something similar.
    Good luck with your build

mike
    www.smalltrimarandesign.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.