Cobalt Catamaran Foiler

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I had the chance to take a look at the vessel in question at the weekend.Nice hulls,but a lot of refining will be needed to make all the systems work.I wasn't too impressed by the mast steps or the upper foil attachments.

Attached Files:

3. Munter

Munter Amateur

I thought the same thing watching the video. The foil hinges seem underweight compared to what you see on other foilers. I also wonder about the big holes drilled in the base of the mast. Even if they contain the downhaul loads to the mast tube itself I worry about the longevity of those bolts through the base.

Full credit to them for bringing a project to a stage where it reaches the water but I wonder whether the game hasn't moved on a bit from where it was when key design decisions were being made on this project. The last AC cycle resulted in a lot of learning that may not have made it into this boat due to the stated 3-year build time. They have also taken the approach of attempting to integrate several major design innovations in one go - which history shows can be a painful process.

Regardless - they have a boat on the water and will no doubt learn a lot about what makes it tick in the coming months. That in itself is a pretty good achievement.

If I ever need an exit strategy for my technology I know where to go!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Attached Files:

5. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

Well the rig looks a bit too soft and the sails look a bit too full. A purpose built boat to break a particular speed record is as much the future of the sport as MariCha IV is/was

6. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

Except ? ;)

pogo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.