CNC Plans not Included

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Here are a few boats that repeatedly catch my eye

North Wind 55 - http://www.northwindyachts.com/NWCat55Presentation.pdf

-Have same aft bunk as I wanted including drawers under. lay down and look out window in one direction, turn around and built in entertainment center in other.

- Pretty simple modern look. Very similar to what I have drawn, get a bit too fancy with helms for my taste but this is my fav of the rest.

- Nice presentation at link provided above

VCat 44 footer - http://vcatamaran.com/
    - Nice clean design

- Has some useful looking innovations (Modular) looks like this would be an all around fun boat.

Alpha Cat 42 - http://alpha-yachts.com/alpha-42-catamaran/

- Good looking modern design to my eye. Way too small for me but if I wanted a short cat I like the look

- Flybridge sure seems popular these days but look how high boom is, I will pass.

Vantage 86 - https://www.vantage-catamarans.com/gallery

- The perfect cat but way too big for me… I would lose that gunboat chine

- Looks like you control lines through windows of salon, I like that idea.

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just a quick look at the vessels you have posted....

I believe that anyone taller than a midget will have trouble using those stairs into the hulls. The deckhouse does not seem to overlap the hulls enough to give an antiquate stand-up usage of the steps down into the hulls??

This design appears to be very much like what you have been seeking to arrive at?,...and its rather nice looking. So now the questions:...a) are they building one?,... b) do they have any orders pending?,...what sort of price have they put on it , such that someone might get some idea as to what it cost to build??

Exactly what is the power sources, and where are they located. And where are the prop(s) or whatever?

I saw this statement, "Hybrid propulsion delivers many advantages. Most important for us is to center the weight of Generator and Batteries in the center of gravity of the ship. Combined with other heavy items, that are also housed around the mast bulkhead,..." . But I did not see any power/propulsion items housed around the mast base or its bulkhead? Did I miss it??

"can rely on 100 hours motor driven propulsion. The generator will give you a range of 600nm" ??

Lot of boat packed into 42 feet. Have not studied it in any detail.

You can sure make a multihull look sleek when you stretch them out. Lots of pretty illustrations, but how are you going to make that thing work....short on details.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Good catch on The NW 55... it's very close to what I want, the steps, hmmm, hard to say by the drawings. I paid special attention to them on my design, I have plenty of overlap.

There might be a flair that we aren't seeing. As to the functionality of the others, I don't know, the Bali was at the Miami boat show, all my friends liked it, a fat but cute boat, The VCat had a desk with brochures but they just got their first order.

The 86' is like you say, easy to make look good. I actually am liking the new 55 design I am working on. I have narrowed the hulls a bit, I think it will look even better than that NW55 when I am done!

On the 55 they say - The hull shape features the latest trends in hull design with negative rocker aft and flat sections fore and aft improving pitch stability. ... What is your thought on this, who else is doing it

4. groper

groper Senior Member

That nw cat presentation is baloney... there is alot of stuff in there that makes no sense. Z dagger foils and t rudder foils on a cruising boat - wtf!? Like as if its going to fully fly lmao!

Sofas down in the hulls- who the hell would use those, its a bridgedeck cat, youll stay up top... Silly arrangement...

Chinese English is used throughout the blurb... the entire thing smells like a ripoff....

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

T rudders have been used on some cats in an attempt at pitch damping I believe, an example is the Hitchhiker 40, not sure if designer endorsed or effective though .............. the foils though;)
    J.

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

It def sounds Chinese - here is what they say about their company...

NORTH WIND IS A FIRST-CLASS BUILDER OF MODERN ALUMINIUM, STEEL AND CARBON COMPOSITE SAILING BOATS AND CATAMARANS.

OVER 40 YEARS EXPERIENCE PROVE OUR CONSTANT SEARCH FOR PERFECTION BLENDING EXPERTISE AND INNOVATION LED BY OUR OUTSTANDING TEAM OF DESIGNERS AND ENGINEERS. THREE GENERATIONS OF BUILDERS AND OVER 700 UNITS SAILING AROUND THE WORLD EFFICIENTLY AND SAFELY, PROVE OUR RELIABILITY.

but when I do a search I don't even see a single multi hull for sale - http://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/?N=4294932184 and a review ... they are out of Spain - http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/northwind-50-new-spanish-armada#page-2 ... and on their multihulls - http://www.bwsailing.com/mq/design-review-north-wind-55/

Owners can choose to have either straight daggerboards that will enhance upwind sailing or they can go with J-foils that will in fact lift the hulls in the water to reduce resistance but won’t be expected to make the boat fly on the foils except in the most controlled circumstances. The rudders can either be straight balanced fins or they can have T-ends for stability with the foil option.

These guys don't sound like scammers to me

Just did some more research - Perus Scolari Hertwig did the design on the Northwind and the Vcat ... looks like I need to contact these designers!!

7. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Here is my version of a 55 footer. The thin hulls prompted me to cram the aft bunks onto the bridgedeck ... which left me room for an aft bath so now all 4 cabins can have their own baths if desired.

That ruined the open deck but I think I figured out how to use all the space in a nice way. Everything seems to be in proportion, I like this look, it feels light and modern, not extreme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Groper, you may only have earned $10 an hour on your boat project. You could have been out earning $70 as an electrician and have an extra 200K in the bank. But I expect you would not have wanted to work so many hours in your day job. Also, now you have completed a significant life achievement you can be proud of, and have a lot more skills in new areas. But $200k would be a pretty awesome fixer upper where many skills could also have been learned.

I want to design and build but its becoming too obvious that I need to be out making coin in a profitable job then buying a cheap boat and doing it up. Plenty of cyclone damaged boats out there like you say, or shells for less than the material cost.

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

9. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

3D Modeling is incredible. I can sit here and figure out which pieces I can combine to make as few pieces as possible. Should have learned this long ago.

This is more of a SIG style hull, very lean 4 foot waterline 60 foot long and only 6' total beam on the hull, it's skinny. I'm trying it with the bunks tucked on bridgedeck and galley topside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

60 x 28.4 ... Lot's more room between the hulls now that they are so skinny, if I add plenty of windows it might not be so bad below. I think this is the version I will take to designers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The galley requires more thinking. The cabs on either side are the ceilings for the aft bunks. At that height they give 52 inches clearance below which is more than needed. 42" would be fine, so I have 10" plus I can go up another 6. That is good for stovetop and drawers. It's tight but doable.

[​IMG]

11. groper

groper Senior Member

steadily improving :)

12. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I moved the stairs aft a bit because the raised areas where creating a mess of the layout. I still have room for the aft bath and a good sized pantry and closet between steps and forward cabin.

[​IMG]

That let me clean up the jog in the top which would have been fun to build! Just one straight run back. I don't really lose the sunset seating either because you can just hang your legs over the side

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the top without the roof. It's not a huge galley but those are full 30 inch counters with about 5 feet of floor space in every direction. Im not saying that is the way I would build the cabinets etc... but the fit works fine. The fridge and freezer are separate units and under the cutting board.

[​IMG]

Here is another view showing that I can take advantage of normally lost corner space by access on the other side, no big deal but good to know.

[​IMG]

a lot of room remains on the other side. Have to play with that, probably be a good place for a chart table. If I go with an inside helm, this would be where I put it. If I do that then there would be tiller steer outside, I wouldn't bring the ropes inside, I don't think.

[​IMG]

It's a salon for sure but it still feels open to the cockpit.

[​IMG]

13. groper

groper Senior Member

Im confused - why the double floor across the bridgedeck?
    If ypu get rid of the upper floor, the whole shebang gets lower and sleeker...

And why return the saloon walls towards the center of the boat? Why not terminate them as they run aft?

14. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

On the double floor, I thought that's the way it was done, space for beams to run across? If the bridgedeck is clear span and only one main beam up front and in back then that would be really great because I have almost 2 feet of space there. That would explain a lot!!!

That turn in doesn't have to be there. I put it to give a little more protection to the steps and galley but it probably should just be a drop down canvas for inclement weather.

Also the glass is going to be either removable or sliding/folding windows, so it can be completely open air.

So bridgedecks are just self supporting then?

15. groper

groper Senior Member

The bridgedeck floor can be fully self supporting. However unless you make use of stiffening devices which can be furniture panels on top, or stringers underneath, stiffening beams underneath etc... then it will be too springy. There are many ways to skin that cat :) but for your design just leave it as a single flat panel for now...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.