CNC Plans not Included

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Sep 19, 2016.

1. groper

groper Senior Member

I know a guy here who wants to build a small fleet of 45ft power cats too... reckons he has a place where the demand for the charters exceeds the number of boats currently there... so make money from building the boats and then chartering them once completed.... so far he is considering Thailand for the build...

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I looked at Thailand, it was high on my list, just have many more contacts in Croatia. Everyone there speaks English, they have the best food for health, beautiful waters, a little cold in winter but those will be my sailing days.

Croatia really needs to build up their charter fleets, they are flooded in summers and I want access to the Euro markets. Also I am planning to get residency in the EU and I can do that by starting a business in Croatia.

Too bad Australia is too costly, would love to do it there, though I don't think it would even be allowed.

3. groper

groper Senior Member

Yeah Australia is out of the question.... skilled labour here will cost you $35 hour, plus 8% superannuation, plus 3% workers insurance, plus 4 weeks annual leave, plus all your materials have 10% GST and will be at prices higher than anywhere else in the first place :)

The shell of my 35ft cat cost me $50k in materials :O

4. sailhand

sailhand Senior Member

groper $35 an hour for skilled labour, last job I did in airlie in 2008 the labourers were on $38 where did you find "skilled" for $35

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

That's what I hear! That is more than it's going to cost for one 60' shell. We will buy in qty and direct from mfg. where possible.

From what I could see, the rentals on boatyard space in Thailand are more expensive than in Croatia. The cheaper ones I found are in worse shape than a parking lot. Also government corruption and the regulations regarding maritime industry where convoluted and not clear. Too much headache for me.

The adriatic coast is amazingly beautiful, the women are beautiful, the people are intelligent and hard working,...EDIT ... you can catch Tuna and Mahi only one mile off shore, Italy is 2 hours away by boat when I want a good pasta lol, that is more my style.

6. groper

groper Senior Member

Yes jorge- I think your idea and building in Croatia is great :) once you get it up and and running I might have to come over there and check it out :)

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Surprising to learn there are mahi mahi in the Adriatic !

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

You better come, you are an honorary member :p ... It's going to be awhile before we actually get started building, have to sell my house first too.

Yeah I was surprised too, I had this fantasy that I would take my boat and go chase the fish one two or three weeks at a time and now I hear I can get to them in a row boat lol!!

Here is the newest , can only get so far because can't save my work yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

The enclosed cockpit in the back is simply because I am having trouble drawing the deck leading down to the stairs but it doesn't bother me that much. It means the back beam can be larger and it's a good spot for layout cushions

10. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

11. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yes there are issues for sure, I think a lot of them might be addressed without straying too far from this look. Right. now I am trying to learn the best way to draw.

I found that with one circle an ellipse and a rocker line I can create the whole underwater part of the hull beautifully. Now I am trying to see if I can do the top the same way.

If I can figure it out, would be able to automate hull creation by simply creating some parameters and clicking go!!

12. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

A more standard layout... Note the full access to both sides of the Queen bed :D and 4 foot of space between kitchen cabinets!

But to do that the hull below the waterline is going to have to be narrower. It's going to be a bird boat, skinny bird legs, big bird body, why not, monohulls can't do it but cats have that advantage and it's very little extra weight and no extra windage ... Only thing I see is that wave drag between the hulls might be an issue, might need more beam than 28' more like 30 I think.

Think I like the other version better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Here is 2 more that show the bulb idea better. The hull is flared to 9 feet wide :eek: That's as big as a normal bedroom in New York, bigger than most kitchens! I can make a space that size look incredible without loading it down with anything. I didn't draw the top in but it would be the same as above.

Below the waterline it's 3 foot. I drew it extreme narrow to show what I am talking about. More likely it's going to be around 4 foot but ideally it would be built to a weight so the bulb line is just inches above the waterline. That way it acts like a shock absorber in the sloppy stuff and resists hobby horsing instead of just bouncing around on the surface.

You get so much room inside and it's still a pretty efficient hull depending on conditions. I read a paper by R Woods that says wave drag can account for 10% of the drag, 20% between hulls so as said before beam would have to be increased a bit but you would still have a good performing boat and it should be a really good performing on light and moderate winds when seas aren't so sloppy.

Anyway, main thing is huge accommodations! I will draw this up, less extreme, and render it on the water to see what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Its going to be hard to make that look good.

15. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I showed it at the most extreme point, the middle of the boat. Going forward and aft it becomes less apparent as the rocker decreases and boat narrows.

Im drawing it now at 4.5 foot instead of 3' ... I bet it won't be that visible )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.