CNC Plans not Included

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Exactly. With this kind of boat low buoyancy bows could work. They make up the required buoyancy in length.

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I pulled in the sides slightly, near the bows, to give it a more aggressive look. I left waterline the same. Interior living space is not affected. Also added 30 solar panels to see if they would fit.

This is what it looks like. I think next step since I can't act on this yet is to build a model and see what it looks like.

[​IMG]

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Im going to edit this post so I am not cutting down anyone specific, I will just say, I left the show feeling patronized and under impressed. Lot of attitude in this business lol :p

Let me also add, almost every boat, regardless of price, had what I guess you call liners. It looked like paneling, just straight up and down, really cheap looking.

When I was talking about putting a liner I was thinking just a really thin sheet of glass infused or rolled out on a mold and then carefully fitted and glued to the interior of hull. Now I understand why some people criticize production boats.

Got curves down, now just have to learn how to convert them to 3D and loft it.
    [​IMG]

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

this is not a loft, it's just an extrusion. The important thing is I was able to export from Flash where I created the curves to Illustrator and from there to Rhino.

In Rhino I found I could box explode the png into lines and edit the points. But by this render, I don't like the upper chine. I think it makes the sides too busy. It wouldn't take much time to attach a cleat in interior and infuse it at the same time. The bottom chine would be bigger but it's barely noticeable down by the waterline, most the boats at the show had the same feature and if I hadn't of been looking for it I wouldn't have noticed.

See what I mean, too busy.

[​IMG]

5. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

suggestion: never judge form/appearance from short hull segments. always look at full hull length models.

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

You are right, I am making a single chine version and am going to pay somebody to 3D both versions.

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Keep in mind that those chines down near the waterline can develop a VERY annoying slap at anchor

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Even if they taper to nothing about 10 foot from the bow? Seems like the water would just part.

9. brian eiland

I am talking about a slap noise from the small wavelets impinging upon these chine shapes while AT ANCHOR,...not moving. It has been reported in several instances.

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yes I know what you mean but aren't you usually turned into the waves at anchor? It would seem that the gradual increase in chine would eliminate most of that. Also they are 6 inches high, could go a couple more inches if it's that big a problem.

11. brian eiland

Hey I've always like the idea of using them,...just do a little research about them first. I've forgotten where I read some of the 'cons' but with google, and several different choice words you can likely find them, or some.

12. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Ok, going to scope that out now. Thanks!

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

http://clackerstopper.com/ ... :p Most the boats I read about that had problems, had chines that extend all the way forward and down to the waterline. As for me that noise puts me to sleep.

Spent a lot of time watching videos on 3D. I realized that the fewer the control points the easier it was to create a fair hull.

I redid the design with only 8 curves one for every major change in the geometry either horizontal or vertical. Going to send them to Mario in Croatia to see if he can put them in 3D but I also found a video tutorial book for Rhino which I am going to get tomorrow.

I am going to post the changes even though they are slight because I use this thread to refer to when I am not busy at work ))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

This was with curves I tried to import. Didn't work too well I think because I didn't get the units right but at least I was able to render a loft. A little more studying on the methodology and I will get it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. brian eiland

SHEER line beauty

Perhaps I am just 'old school', but I think many of the new designs just lack a pretty 'sheer line'.

I written before.....
    Sheer Beauty
    ...from a reply letter I sent to Soundings a number of years ago

Just finished reading your article about Ray Hunt in the June issue of Soundings, I wanted to write and let you know how much I truly enjoyed the article.

You captured not only the factual history, but more importantly, some of the essence of being involved with yachts and yacht design itself….. “the measure of total understanding of the nature of a boat.”

And most importantly, you included the oft forgotten element, the sheer line. What a terribly important factor! Romantically stated, but oh so true, “it is simply her sheer … sheer beauty that is. She enters the harbor like a beautiful woman entering a room. Her sheer is the line we try to get right when we doodle boats.” So many of today’s boats lack this beauty, and correspondingly, some of the essence of yesteryear’s yachting.

Peter Wormwood got it right here:
    [​IMG]

My attempt was here:
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.