CNC Plans not Included

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jorgepease, Sep 19, 2016.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Lot of windage in that deckhouse

2. groper

groper Senior Member

Vplp are at the pinnacle of multi hull design. You can't go wrong with them although its likely they'll be rather expensive...

So many designs, so little time :)

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yeah, I thought the same with those vertical windows. I want the salon open, just keep the roof for solar panels.

I sent them an email, doesn't hurt to ask. )

4. groper

groper Senior Member

Yeah be good to compare... assured they can do a great design , but I hope they also appreciate how to design a boat that can be built with lowest man hours in mind. They typically design boats that have virtually unlimited budgets from what I've seen... at least grainger can see the construction time and cost benefits of flat panel designs and making them look fashionable (marketable) too.

5. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I doubt they touch any design that doesn't carry at least a 100K dollar price tag but if I don't think they would have a problem with designing an easy to build boat if that was one of the parameters.

Spent the weekend fishing during the day and prioritizing features at night. Going to post my new thoughts once I see them drawn out.

Cheers man, Happy 2017!

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

This time I started with function - form follows function...The priorities are

Performance - Speed is good but the ability to sail with little wind and into the wind since I am going electric, is greatly desired. I made the hull width to length aspect ratio -1 to 13.63 and the bridge deck clearance is 1.2 meters.

Comfort - My main goal is space, EMPTY space ... and to be able to access the main cabin beds from the sides. I hate climbing over beds to get in/out.

Simple to build - Even though I plan to build a mold, all these designs with flared hulls and coachroofs ruin the simplicity of symmetrical hulls. With extra length we can cash in on symmetry. I only need to build a plug for one hull. It simplifies everything and will probably save some money despite larger size.

Design Features - We want one big wide open plane. I designed it for exterior deck and interior to have no steps. The mast is at the 50% mark and the tramp. goes forward from their on.

Any way you look at it -
    The only way to do this is to make the hull 75' long. That means more money for a marina if you don't want to keep it on a mooring.

Hull length and symmetry RULE! Look at this thing, it should be called the Predator LOL!!
    PS: The green is one plane and the shaded interior is the floor plane

This is the design I came up with, I tried to make it look like Graingers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. brian eiland

Your vessel design keeps growing in size. :):eek:

You better have another look at Kelsall's KSS build methods if you want to keep the budget in check,...and even that may break the bank.

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

The distance between the bottom and top of the hull is enough to stand 2 people on top of eachother.

I like the idea of a flat bottom you walk on Oram style and have a way less material and weight. There is no way the flat bottom is going to be slower with all that weight and windage saved. That is true minimalist design.

The designs shown here are awesome but they are not minimalist IMO. This design is a gigantic expensive superyacht structure, not that there is a prob with that.

I'm probably in a way different pay bracket :p

9. groper

groper Senior Member

I notice you are getting closer and closer to a scaled up sig45 :)

The easiest design to build has a warped flat panel topsides. It's vertical at the bows, flares outward the further you go back and the deck line is defined by an aesthetic sheer curve. This can easily be built from flat panels save the hull 'shoes' which are compound curved and done via strip plank or similar method. A warped panel looks 3d curvature but it's not, so it looks cool and also easy to build from sheet material or infused panels etc.

With symmetrical hulls, perhaps a hull and deck mold is feasible. Definitely if building more than 1 cat. The mold itself is simple also with flat panel simple curvature.

This is the vision I've had all along. Compound curve shoes, warped topsides, hulls big enough for modest accommodation, and no full bridgedeck cabin, just shade and shelter by way of bimini, clears etc...

10. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Yeah it’s getting quite big lol

I am not a NA, the rocker is just by my eye, maybe It’s too much.

Most of the extra height comes from having flat planes. It probably adds about a couple of feet to roof height.

Yeah you're right about keeping away from compound curves. Symmetrical hulls would make mold construction very simple and less costly.

Take a look at this pic. I'm not so sure about a regular Bimini anymore. Looks a bit cheap.

[​IMG]

11. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Look at the mayne cat, or imagine the ill fated gunboat rainmaker with strataglass rolldowns instead of real glass.

12. brian eiland

Original sketch for 55 Gunboat
    [​IMG]

Thailand charter cat I saw ba number of years ago
    [​IMG]

Another Thai charter cat
    [​IMG]

A French caribbean cat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Dennis, I love the Maine Cat. It's got a good rep too. Def, don't want heavy glass.

Brian, Thanks for posting this. Helps to be able to see these different approaches. The top is going to be one of the hardest details!!

EDIT: Deleted a stupid idea to complicate the mold, must have had too much cafe con leche this morning. Anyway see how it should work now, it will be easy to do.

14. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Look what happens when you add a step in bath and in cockpit, much sleeker! ...also took out a bit of rocker

[​IMG]

15. groper

groper Senior Member

Why do you have so much space in the voids under the floor? The entire lot can be lowered...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.