Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Rep: 71 Posts: 804
SIG45 C with stern and bimini stretched (photoshop) to 50... THAT IS ONE SHARP BOAT!

Graingers flyingfish45 is an open cockpit very similar but looks a bit cramped, stretch it to 50 and that would be one sweet boat. I don't like Graingers rendition of the floating hardtop but that is a minor adjustment, the flying fish just looks like a predator!!!

Philippines and Thailand are okay but the prices aren't that great. Croatia is looking good, makes it fairly easy to open a business, I have many friends there and pleased to meet a new friend, member of boatdesign forums, from there with lots of great local knowledge and ideas.

Croatia is part of the EU and a sanctuary for yachts and boat people. At one time they were major boat builders, this makes much more sense to me.

Plus ... Found an old fishermans stone shack on the beach, no electric, no water but amazingly beautiful ... only 40K euro. Can moor my boat 30 meters out front and park a little car on my land, find a beautiful Croatian woman and eat octopus for lunch every day when Im not out exploring the oceans!! Hell Yeah!!

If we can get just 2 more people to build their boats at same time we can buy epoxy and core in bulk and get some very serious discounts!
Old 11-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
I was just looking back over some of your postings Groper, and I see now your are more sailing and performance oriented than I though from your powercat build project
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgepease View Post
Not sure if I like the galley up there but it's simpler than sticking it in the hull and leaves more room below.

Also don't like the curves in the top, should just extend straight back with a good overhang aft. like the SIG60

Just going to make note of this posting for the moment. I will have to come back to it later.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM

Rep: 693 Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I was just looking back over some of your postings Groper, and I see now your are more sailing and performance oriented than I though from your powercat build project
I only built a power cat because it was a simpler project for my first design and build. I've always been a sailor and now even more so having experienced life on the water in a motorboat.

Motoring is noisy, restricts your travel itinerary to include mandatory fuel stops, and for a power catamaran the rolling motion is more lively because the is no damping of the roll via the sail plan. Sailing is far more enjoyable and romantic as opposed to the constant drone of engines in the background... not to mention the added stress of maintaining an income to pay for fuel so the adventure can continue...
Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
Motoring is noisy, restricts your travel itinerary to include mandatory fuel stops, and for a power catamaran the rolling motion is more lively because the is no damping of the roll via the sail plan. Sailing is far more enjoyable and romantic as opposed to the constant drone of engines in the background... not to mention the added stress of maintaining an income to pay for fuel so the adventure can continue...
Amen and 30 knots on fun days to that!!
Old 11-13-2016, 04:23 PM

This is sad, looks like a nice boat, hope he can get the rest of the money together to finish it. http://harryproa.com/?p=562
Old 11-13-2016, 06:03 PM
redreuben

Rep: 349 Posts: 1,448
I sympathise

2015 I tore a shoulder ligament off the bone lifting a sheet of Gyprock up a wall and had to have surgery to re-attach, 12 months off work and all my savings evaporated (read boat capital) as did my regular clientele. Life can be cruel.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Rep: 436 Posts: 567
Quote:
This is sad, looks like a nice boat, hope he can get the rest of the money together to finish it. http://harryproa.com/?p=562
That information was not correct, and has been deleted. There will be an update shortly.

rob
Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM

A good news update I hope, had enough bad news here in the USA lately!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Rep: 16 Posts: 269
to redreuben, sometimes its the lee shore that takes the boat, sometimes its more prosaic. Sorry to hear that things went south for you. All the best.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 PM

Redreuben- also sorry to hear that.

Here is a Backyard Build - Schionning Waterline - 16 years in the making - Launched and Looking Good! https://www.facebook.com/CaptureCamden/

Im still shooting for 12 mos ))
Old 11-14-2016, 10:03 PM

Rep: 32 Posts: 85
Quote:

Im still shooting for 12 moths ))

You don't think thats a little optimistic .

A commercial yard with a team of 5 highly skilled builders using pre-made and supplied panels, can push out a custom build Schionning, for example, of the size you are talking in 10 months. This is not their first boat, and they know exactly what their doing.

Listen to Mr Woods.

Theres probably office staff as well keeping the materials and consumeables flowing in the front door.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:16 AM

Oh I am listening, I keep eliminating stuff out and simplifying... I won't do it in 12 mos, just going to shoot for 12 and hope for 15 ... The 16 years is super inspirational but that takes a special kind of person to see that through, I could never do it )
Old 11-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Rep: 693 Posts: 2,087
yes i agree, a custom building professional boat yard here will take about 12months to build a 40-50ft cat, thats with multiple skilled builders on it. No way its achievable (well not to a high standard of finish anyway) by a solo builder in 12 months...

Ive been racking my brains over the last few weeks trying to figure what im going to do to get myself into a 50ft sailing cat.... its tempting to want to build again but i know whatever time i put into it, will be for nothing financially. It will essentially be worth materials cost when its done.

The main dilemma for me is i cant find what i want in a 2nd hand boat for a low cost... theyre all heavy, poor performers, or poorly thought out / designed... the good ones cost a fortune and arnt affordable. classic catch 22...

so it becomes a descision between going to sea and enjoying life in whatever it is VS many more years of hard work which i wont get back when im old and grey...

Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 AM

I'm waiting to hear back from Gurit on the requirements for distributorship in Croatia. Been talking with my new friend over there, who also plans to build a boat. He actually wants to build up a charter fleet. If we could get a couple more people, we can get some serious discounts on core and epoxy.

He has good connections, we just missed a good deal on a hangar big enough to build 3 15 meter cats for 1,100 euro per month. Also, general labor wages are still relatively low in Croatia as is overall cost of living. I will probably have 2 labors helping me and they don't need to be skilled, just have common sense, which those people have and more.

If you can devote your full time to the project, it might be worth your while to come build in Croatia as well. Sell your boat, we can use the same mold, and then your boat is not a home built and is worth more than just materials

... that's the plan anyway

Also I am going the more expensive route of CE certification. Croatia is part of the EU and fully intend to take advantage of that.