A class catamaran build in Sarasota, fl

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Jeremyh, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Sam Armington, Gary Armington, Felix Herrin, and Jeremy Herrin began building a class catamarans designed by O.H. Rodgers this weekend. Gary Armington and Felix Herrin have experience in building boats. Jeremy Herrin and Sam Armington are the sailors who recently won the U.S. Youth Multihull Championship and are going to ISAF Youth worlds this summer in Ireland. Follow our build here http://www.ah-sailing.blogspot.com/

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

A Class

Congratulations! Is this the same OH Rodgers that designed quite a few monohulls including the Kiwi 35?
    Will you use curved daggerboard foils? Rudder "T" or "L" foils? Will you use a standard wing mast or do your own?
    All carbon hulls, mast and beams? Best of luck!
    UPDATE-found some answers:

"The a class catamaran is the fastest, single-handed catamaran today, built entirely of an ultra strong, light weight carbon fiber-epoxy construction. We were interested in building a cats and met O.H. Rodgers of David Island Yacht Club in November. He designed, built, and sailed his a class catamaran as seen here. The boat is of a modern design and features a modern wave piercing bow section, high volume sterns, low rocker, and curved foils. From the tooling of O.H. Rodgers, our boats will be built."

3. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Thanks! Yes, that is him. We will use curved daggerboards, and normal rudders. We will try to find a used production wing mast in the U.S. most likely a Hall mast, possibly a Fiberfoam. If you knew anyone who could help us with that it would be great. The boat is made of 5.7oz 2x2 twill Carbon skin, 1/4" divinycell h80 core, inner skin, then reinforcements. We are designing some different, curved beams, also carbon.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------------
    E-mail me(click on my name and go to my profile) and I'll give you a guys name here in FL that might be able to help with a used mast. Also, Matt McDonald at Falcon Marine(Port Canaveral) is doing the tooling for a new wing mast-expensive but first class.

5. HollaStern

HollaStern Junior Member

Are plans for this platform available? Or any well designed A class? I have been wanting to build a boat that I can race competitively so it seams like the A-Cat is the obvious choice. I want to use a similar method to the LR4 by Lindahl but have only been able to find designs meant for ply construction. Traditionally I think that a lot of home built A-cats have been designed by the builder but I am no designer. I would hate to waste all the time building and high quality materials on a boat that will start out behind.

6. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

HollaStern, first post? welcome to the boatdesign forums! and yes, like you, I'd love to have an A class set of plans! In another thread I got going I'm also searching for F16 plans and think I found them!

7. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

A Cat

==============
    Good work-keep it up. What is the nominal hull lamination?

9. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

The hull lamination goes: 5.7 oz carbon, h80 divinycell, 5.7 oz carbon, ring frames and extra core in between frames for trapeze support

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

How you guys coming along?

11. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

good we are currently building a plug for the main beam, Gary and Sam are heat forming there foam so they can lay up their boat, and the bulkheads in my boat are almost ready to be glued in

12. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

13. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Jeremyh, looks like the hull bottoms are really flat starting at the bow-am I seeing that right? Keep up the great work and good luck!

15. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

The aft sections of the boat are flatter and the front have a more round profile and thanks, keep following

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.