Catamaran vs. Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by konlow, Nov 16, 2015.

1. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

Building a multihull big enough to live on is a serious undertaking. Build a small one first. Either a tender for the big one or a smaller version for sailing. If possible, use the same materials and techniques as you will use on the big one.

Boat building methods have changed in the last few years. The biggest change has been infusion of foam cored hulls and all the associated developments which have removed much of the skills, mess, waste and effort from the traditional techniques such as ply, strip planking, flat panel, foam on stringer moulds and wet laminating generally. Building a boat has never been quicker, or simpler.

For information on intelligent infusion, see http://harryproa.com/?page_id=459 and scroll down to Build Method.

If you are "wide open to suggestions", don't limit yourself to cats or tris. A harryproa offers more room than a tri, better sailing and motion than a cat and is lighter (less material to buy, use and propel) with a much more usable deck layout than either.

In my experience, big people don't enjoy themselves much on small boats. Get on board any boats in your area that are for sale. Visit a boat show or your local marina and ask if you can have a look around any boats that might fit your requirements. Chartering is good, but I doubt you will find any ex charter size boats in your price range, once you have repaired the wear and tear. Better to spend the time and money building what you want. Few, if any charter cats are sub 40'.

To ease the cash flow, give some thought to building the right sized boat for your needs, and adding the rig and other expensive bits when you can afford it. Or use a small rig. A 4 ton 50'ter with the same rig as a 4 ton 35'ter will be faster, and less hassle to sail.

Twin engines are handy for maneuvering in marinas, but otherwise add cost, weight and maintenance. A single plus a steerable electric motor for tight quarters is a cheaper, easier option if the boat is not a block of flats. Inboards have some advantages, but an exposed propellor is not one of them.

The biggest time consumer of conventional boat building is making it look pretty. A showroom finish and glamour interior will cost more than adding another 10' to the length.

rob denney
    www.harryproa.com

2. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Rob, what is with the 20 meter Proa-Monster in Norway I found on your website ? When will we see her sailing ? Would be very curiously about the results... the beautifully hulls are promising a lot...
    [​IMG]

3. konlow

konlow Junior Member

very, very interesting! I think something like that could be Viable. it weird and kooky, I love it.

I appreciate this info, gives me some more options and ideas =) Ty so much.

-Brian

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I have a friend who is about to start a solo round or too something or other attempt. He is hard to keep up with, but is a past mini sailor, and is always doing something weird (solo transpac, solo to China... Something). Anyway he is setting out on a 40' proa from California in the next few months, bringing it to New York, then I think headed solo around the cape to San Fran.

He is in love with the proa design.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hi: Skip RayJ
    Could you post your photos as an attachment. It makes this thread almost impossible to read when someone posts a photo that is wider than the screen.
    Thanks.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

You can simply resize the photo and repost it...

7. konlow

konlow Junior Member

it actually came out perfect for me, but everyone uses different display / browser settings I guess.

8. John Perry

John Perry Senior Member

I have to be impressed Richard, but couldn't help noticing the 'almost' in the above! (just teasing)

9. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

I prefer "different" to "weird and kooky". ;-)
    The build method is not even very different, more a look at all the miserable parts of boat building and mostly small, simple and obvious (in retrospect) things to do to eliminate them.
    The boats have a similar origin. Look at the shortcomings of conventional cats and tris, and come up with solutions.

Skip,
    The 20m/66' hulls were built by 2 brothers who had no previous building experience. They did lots of research and testing, then performed the largest amateur infusion I know of. The result is two exceptionally well built hulls.

Unfortunately, one of the brothers died in a diving accident, so one of the hulls is for sale ($40k). It is on an island north of the Arctic Circle, so a challenge to move it. However, it could be cut in half and fit in a 40' container, which would make transport viable and for about $5k it could be shipped anywhere. Rejoining the pieces would be relatively easy.

The other brother is Steinar, who is the talent who drew the latest harrys. His boat started out as a fast cruiser, but has been reduced to a very fast cruiser, on target to achieve 3.5 tons ready to sail. The design predated intelligent infusion, so it is taking the usual time (and mess) to get the ww hull fitted out. The beams and rig will be built by Etamax in Australia, so it is possible it will be sailing this time next year.

Pictures and progress reports at http://harryproa.com/?p=726

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.