cat design idea (need help)

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by seymour2252, Nov 6, 2015.

1. seymour2252

seymour2252 Junior Member

I'm looking for something I can travel around in, Iv had vans and campers before and a barge for a short time so I'm familiar with the space and problems it brings compared to a house/flat. I think I saw something similar to a flat cat, I'm guessing those pictures are just a representation. The shape and space it would provide seem nice though. I really don't mind about speed but of course functionality is a must.... Honestly I have no money and need to move out of the place I'm in (parents house) and this would be a plan after Iv worked up enough money. Iv also posted on various crewing websites but nothing so far and now it's getting late in the year. So I'm guessing nothing will come up till spring? I would have a job if I had a boat though as there are many many friends that are looking for a lift to some place or another in the world....

Edit: tmi?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How are friends looking for a lift give you a job? Owning and maintaining a boat is rather expensive, and friends that need a lift won't pay for it. To be realistic, you need to look at what the price of purchasing, maintenance, docking, etc. are. If you need to live with your parents, it is hard to see how you can afford it.

3. seymour2252

seymour2252 Junior Member

People are willing to split the food and other costs while they are onboard and I'll do everything except the actual maintenance of the hull myself. Also I'm working till I have an excess of a couple thousand to initially travel on then work where I need to. The actual cost of running I'll keep down by only using an engine when I need it and travel by sail so the fuel costs are low, and it's around £5-£15 per night? Maybe cheaper and essentials and food costs I can keep to around £500 a month. On my current job I can make atleast £250 a week and I'll be working till the spring anyway if not for another year. Correct me if I'm wrong? That should pay for a sailboat and have a little excess if I'm averaging 1k a month in savings and go for a boat in the 5-10k range?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.