Carbon3 trimaran from Nigel Irens

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by cardsinplay, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yeah Chris, admit I was a little grumpy, apologies; there has been a death in the family and sniping at you was something to take my mind off it, temporarily.
    However this trend to put shallow angled dagger cum foils in amas is an interesting one because it is a good compromise; the platform heels in stronger gust and the daggers become more lifting foils and keep the ama up, in lighter stuff they lift less but provide good anti-derive.

2. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Sincere condolences from this side, Gary and don't sweat the rest. My wife and I are also at that place where our parents, aunts and uncles are departing and now it has begun that some of our age group friends are, as well. Each one has hit us in a different way. I understand those feelings.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Foils

This is from the front page of SA quoting the Sea Cart 26 people-gives an excellent representation of how modern trimaran design is going and the value
    placed on lifting foils by many companies-not just Sea Cart:

The evolution of the new SeaCart 26 continues with a revision of the ama foil design. The original fixed foil design has been updated by Marc Lombard and his team. CFD tests pitched various configurations against one another, including no foil at all, the initial design, and a new one. The result – the new higher aspect curved asymmetric foil (link to second picture) gave a significantly improved lift-to-drag ratio. Lift is good, drag is bad!

For serious thrill seeking helmsman, the lift from the foil will enable the boat to be pushed harder with confidence. Although the ama foils will be an additional extra when purchasing a SeaCart 26, it is expected that they will be popular to achieve maximum performance from the boat. This being the case they will likely be included in the class rules.

11/29/10

click on image:

Attached Files:

4. cardsinplay

cardsinplay da Vinci Group

Off topic and irrelevant.

Aside from that, there is a SeaCart26 thread which, I believe, you started. May I suggest that you take your dandy Cut and Paste from Sailing Anarchy over there?

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

This boat is launched and sailing now. Thus far its achieved 23kts in 8kts windspeed impressive more info is up on their website www.carbon3.dk

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Such a beautiful boat.
    The very epitome of "Form follows Function" :cool:

1 person likes this.
  8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

They show a lot of confidence in the boat, first seatrial and already flying two hulls. The boat looks very light you can see it in the motion.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Looks great-thanks Corley!

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Excuse me while I do a little thread necromancy.

The Carbon3 team are out on their first race of the 2013 season the Palby Fyn Cup at the moment slightly behind the SAP Extreme Team. It's basically a two horse race with no other boats remotely close to the leading pair.

Tracker is here:

http://germanmaster.traclive.dk/eve...p?raceid=b54dbba6-c96a-11e2-932d-10bf48d758ce

update from 29 minutes ago

By Æbel island has Carbon3 now once again in contact with Extreme Challenger and it is once again super close between the 2 boats.

Attached Files:

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Looking at stuff on the web about this year's Fyn Cup, a couple of things maybe worth mentioning:

First, there were 285 boats in the 2013 race, of which only 18 are multihulls. Of those 18 multihulls 2 are cats (the X40 and the RC27) and of the 16 trimarans 9 are Dragonfly-produced, and two others are skippered by Erik and Jens Quorning (Erik helming Carbon 3, his brother Jens helming his 28' one-off 'Dragonfire').

Had it not been for the Quornings and their most excellent Dragonfly brand, there would thus be no multihull racing here worth much mention.

As far as I know, this little minority of multihulls at Fyn Cup has nonetheless higher quality boats and racing than any multihull class in any other salt-water race event open to both monos and multis (I'm excluding lake sailing because it is a more rarified/lightweight niche).

Compared with yesterday's Round the Island race at Cowes (ca. 1500 entries, 32 multihulls), the Fyn Cup boats are overall much more performance oriented, and the only newer flat-out racer at Cowes which was privately owned was the Seacart Buzz - and there were 9 Dragonfly boats at Cowes as well.

Jens has been running the Dragonfly business since the mid-80's, nobody more conscientious or industrious than him anywhere; Denmark's cruising grounds are extremely well suited to multis, space in marinas is not especially difficult... But still after all these years in friendly circumstances the multihulls make up a small group, very dependent on a handful of people.

I noticed that Jens' associate Henrik Bøje Hansen skippered their new 32-footer to 1st in class, good for them.

Jens' one-off Dragonfire is a carbon 28-footer built in the late 90's weighing only a little over 500 kg, Jens has enlarged the amas and added a nice Marstøm 14.5m mast, and the sails look very good. Unfortunately I don't think those crossbeams may be strong enough for the curved daggerboards which Jens apparently is thinking of adding, so he probably won't do it?

At the link below there is some video taken at Fyn this weekend, if you look at the one labeled 'Palby 3' there is some closeup footage of Dragonfire from the 4 minute mark.

Goto Palby 3

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I actually really like the execution of the Dragonfly trimarans. It's a different approach but they have a much more pleasant interior imo than what the Farrier's & Corsair's offer. There must be a bit of a weight penalty but from a cruiser/racer perspective with the emphasis on it being a comfortable and pleasant performance cruiser it's probably worth it.

14. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Are they heavier on account of the interior stuff? I never studied it but I always figured that it looks heavier than it is in fact.

What does weigh something is the swing-wing, but of course it's worth it, unless you happen to own waterfront property.

A general competitive disadvantage of trimarans is that you have to have such a big boat to have loads of space inside, or be able to get away from the kids. A 35 foot catamaran or larger makes trimarans look cramped.

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'd imagine the nicer interior finishes would come at some cost in terms of weight it's probably not a huge amount though. I like Kurt Hughes description of space in trimaran's that there is space there due to the hull flare but it's more about how you feel about the space. Personally I like the more yacht like feel of the interior of trimarans but can see why catamarans hold appeal to more people.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.