caramaran anchoring system

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Charly, May 13, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Yeah, this is our second kid so I know all about the sleep deprivation after the little one arrives. My wife isn't a good pregnant person I think I prefer the sleepless nights after :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Charly

Charly Senior Member

It may be that setting fore and aft hooks is sometimes the only solution to that problem, though I have woken up to a mess more than once with that setup.
    I hope that in my case, with this new 36 cat, without too much underbody, she will lie to the breeze most of the time.

I have thought of maybe mounting a hook aft someplace, to help pull off the beach, etc., but I can't see any real practical way to do it with my particular design. Has anyone here done anything like that with a cat?

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Charly, what I do in that case Frosty is talking about is to tie a second line from your stern or amidships to the anchor line using a knot I am forgetting the name of (kerick sheet bend?). Then you cinch that up as tight as necessary around the cleat to position the cat however you want it relative to the anchor rode.

If you are really talking about pulling off a beach only, you will need to drop the anchor on the way in to get the scope you need to drag the boat off the beach.

You can just use an all (mostly) rope rode and if careful about routing it, lead it to a sheet winch.

4. Charly

Charly Senior Member

That is what I was thinking, but with the stock plan tiller setup, with track , wires and tillers everywhere, it is probably just asking for trouble.

I thought about an anchor chock, mounted back there accessable from the helm, but to really make something like that work, I would probably need to go to a different, more internal, steering system. I'll probably just have a couple of extra, heavy duty cleats back there somewhere and leave it alone.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I don t think you could possibly make a cleat strong enough or plant the anchor hard enough to pull a boat of the beach. We talking mud or white sand.

It it were possible to pull boats of beaches the world would not be scattered in beach wrecks.

It is sometimes done to assist engines only.

6. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I don't think he means a wreck. I think he's talking about a controlled beaching. You know... You put the bows on the beach, maybe the tide changes a little and you want to get off the beach?

7. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Yep. Frosty, this boat is made for the beach

http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_other/36chcat.htm

I am beginning to re-think the front ladder option though. I wonder how practical it really is. It obviously will interfere with an anchor setup like the one discussed at the beginning of the thread. Any one here have any experience with such?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.