Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bruce. The answers to your two questions are Yes and No. :(

2. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

Sea Stallion (that's me) has a set of plans. They are not in great shape. I am only building an ama and doing miscellaneous rotten wood repairs and glassing the deck and cabin top for reinforcement so what I have is fine for my job. Progress is being made.

I'm not really in the plan business but I did go today with my originals and made 2 sets of digital reproductions, one for myself and one for Reuben in WA (can't remember his name on here). Here's what came out:

Sheet 1 - came out in 2 parts for some reason, can be taped together no problem
    Sheet 2 - full size main hull frames
    Sheet 3 - full size float frames
    Sheet 4 - damaged original, only got 1/2 the sheet, can work on improving it if need be
    Sheet 5 - float construction
    Sheet 6 - mast
    Sheet 7 - sail plan

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

!!!

Thanks for the reply SS! Great! Just don't let the plans vanish again. As you can see, there is quite a lot of interest, and you are holding the only set to come to light lately. When my local blueprint/copy shop copied my 24 plans, they also made a cd for me with all the info on it, so they can be reprinted anytime. The frame patterns are the most important, almost everything else could be reverse engineered from them. I will happily pay for any part of the plans that you care to copy. Do you have any pics of your re-build progress? I have seen many tris and several Crowthers, but never a 28, but it looks as if it is one of the nicest designs in its size range. B

4. lgenova

lgenova Junior Member

Good news. I also appreciate having a copy and would be happy to pay for it.

5. Bob Hines

Bob Hines Junior Member

B 28 Plans

The CD sounds like a great idea Bruce. I would pay for this or a hard copied set of plans. Sounds like this may work for us!

6. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

Has there been any progress on this issue? For me a downloadable copy would do.

regards

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry farjoe. No progress. There seems to be a bit of a stalemate going on. Several people have several bits of it but just don't want to share them.
    If I could get my hands on an original set of plans, even if it meant restoring them, as I did with the B24, I would make them available to everybody at a price which would cover my costs ---like the very successful B24 plans package which contained very much more than just the 6 sheets of plans alone. :cool:

8. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

I may be happy with what Sea Stallion has got.

9. Bob Hines

Bob Hines Junior Member

B 28 Plans

I agree farjoe - if we could get just the 7 sheets through Sea Stallion we would be off to the races!

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

plans

I have seen some of the pdf plans- and it would be really hard to build a boat from them. They are not complete, and they were copied from plans that had been used to build a boat- many years ago. They were on very fragile paper if they are like my 24 plans and would have to be restored and then copied, probably a lot of hand drawing would be necessary.
    They are interesting, but maybe not in a good way:( Compared to several more modern designs, I don't think (IMO!) the 28 would be worth building in today's market- there are just better boats available, with designer support. Material costs, even on a tight budget, would be over 20k US, before 2000+ hours labor. Here in the USA, a nice used Corsair-27, well equipped, sells for around 30K, and has more interior, folds, is built of glass, and probably sails almost as well. I would still consider purchasing a 28 if the price was right, but building a new one just does not make much sense. While the 24 is a "quick build" simple boat, the 28 is much more complex design, with no one to ask about design issues or changes. I feel sure it is a fast, nice sailing boat, but it has a really minimal interior for a 28, and the basic structure limits many changes. I think its time may be passed. B

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Farjoe and Bob,

SS has sent me jpgs of his plans but when printed much of the text is unreadable, so no you won't be happy !
    SS is looking into getting "professional" copies made at my expense so what comes of that remains to be seen.
    Please be patient SS has a business to run as well as a boat to rebuild. You will be kept informed of progress via the forum here so just chill !
    RR

12. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

@Redreuben,

Thank you and SS for any eventual info you may be able to deliver about these plans.

@Bruceb,

One does not necessarily need more than 7 pages in order to have a good set of plans. I have actually build a multihull of a similar size from a plan set of 5 although I must admit that the designer was available to answer some questions. Previous experience may actually be sufficient to fill in any missing gaps that these 7 sheets may have.

Also please do not assume that everyone wanting a set of plans such as these has the intent of actually building it as is or indeed that cost effective second hand boats are available everywhere.

Regards

13. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

less paper

Farjoe, Sorry, that didn't come across correctly. Parts of the plans are not there at all, they didn't get copied or were too damaged. An experienced builder could build the boat, and with some changes, might even build a better, more modern tri- just using the 28 as a starting point. I have a B-24 that I like very well, but like many boat owners, would like a little larger, more capable boat, and the 28 would be one of my first choices, but in the US, building one new would not be a good investment in time or money since we have so many well priced used boats of all types. Other parts of the world may not be as lucky? as we are. Of course, it works both ways- buying or building a new boat is a quick way to lose most of our investment to depreciation:( I do hope the the complete plans become available. I have my original ones for my 24 and I purchased a fresh set from OS7 to help in rebuilding my boat, and they are very useful. If I find a good 28, or any other wooden boat, I would certainly want a set of plans. B

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

In my post above on the plans I said i had jpegs ! Oops pdf's :)
    RR

15. Bob Hines

Bob Hines Junior Member

B 28 Plans

If the "professional" copies become available to you from SS please contact me redreuben. I will pay you for a set of copies. Thanks so much. Bob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.