Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Trip?

Think he will want crew? Sign me up. :) B

2. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Get in line...... :) :)

3. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

4. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

6. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Given it's "non-original" and despite being "fully restored" I'd still want to hope for gold-plated fittings and a carbon fibre mast...for the price...

Phew! Ouch!

7. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

Nice looking boat. Appears to be in great shape and well equipped.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sea Stallion.
    When you have finished your restoration on the B28, do you think you could lease them to be restored and copied so they could be made available as full size plans, as I did with the B24.
    I made full size blow ups from your PDFs but they are much too blurred to be useful. Re-working them would be a full time job using drawing equipment and a good knowledge of the construction details and materials. Even then it would need a lot of guesswork. Renovating and copying of the existing plans would be the only way to bring the Crowther B28 back to life. Lock was my personal friend and business partner. Knowing him I feel sure he would not want this excellent brainchild of his to be lost for ever.

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

That tri is a re-work of a B28 basket case. He did a really good job of re-building it and I am sure it is a nice boat.
    The lady who was the Nanny of my children was that guys girlfriend. She sailed with him a lot on it, before he became an EX and she moved back to Sydney. She said he didn't have the plans, which probably is why it became a "Bits-er", (but a good one at that). I am sure the price must be negotiable, but don't forget the broker wants his cut. :rolleyes:

10. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

First off oldsailor, I don't understand why you think "this excellent brainchild of his to be lost fo ever". I have already expended significant coin scanning the plans for ruben. The plans stay with the boat. I'm not sending my original boat plans for a boat that I own to someone I don't even know that resides on a totally different continent. Sorry.

11. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Rein in those ponies, there is a long line of people who have benefited from working with and acquiring plans from Paddy. His generous nature and concern for preserving and conserving designs is well known. I've gotten Nicol information out of the blue from him just because he thought it would be appreciated. That long line would vouch for him no matter where he is. Oldsailor is a true gentleman and champion of the multihull sailing world.

12. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

SS,

I'm with Cavalier here but there's more.
    Of course there's the good sense, and your good right for that matter, of keeping the plans with your your boat but I think there's more at stake here.
    I you have read this thread you should know that original plans are missing for the Bucc 28 plus that Paddy is trying, for many years now, to make the plans available again for public.
    This all because the Bucc. 28 a near timeless design, on the verge of distinction, is worth to be kept available for generations to come.
    Also I know virtually nobody else who is capable and willing to take this considerable effort plus take time & effort to actually helping builders giving advice and encourage them to start or go on with the build of their boat.
    Numerous examples of this are written in the threads. His efforts are for love of the design, not money.
    This might be the last chance to get the plans for the Bucc. 28 out in the open again. Don't forget this.

So Please, for the sake of human kind, reconsider.
    Think of all the the joy people, all over the world, are gonna have sailing this epic design; not to speak of of the shear fun building this beauty.
    Think of all the lessons that can be learned.
    People are gonna love you, wave at you when you sail by!
    This only because you helped to make the plans available again.
    Again, and I stress this again with the utmost possible importance: don't let this design die in vain.
    PLEASE RECONSIDER.
    I'm very sure Patrick make you a fair deal.

Rest my case.:)

13. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

There is a simple solution to this "missing plans" problem.

SS wants to keep his original plans with his boat, and is chary of sending them via the not-infallible postal service to "the other side of the world".

Fair enough..!!

Sooooo, if Paddy is willing to pay for a full size scan of the originals, that could be done in high res raster format as JPEGS or tiffs (or perhaps even better, saved as DWG files), could SS make the plans available to an architectural plans copying facility in his home State for this purpose, as htey have to be scanned at A1 (full size) and only such a facility has this ability?

If that is the "best" solution, and it proves costly for Paddy, I would be surprised if a "crowd funding" approach was not successful at raising the necessary cash to have the plans properly copied and re-worked so they can be maintained for posterity and in perpetuity.

We all know that Lock's family are not interested in making what archives they still have available, and it is uncertain even whether the original Bucc 28 plans are there....

...so as HAYSB said so eloquently, OS7 is a "good scout". Please reconsider.

SS, yours are the only set of original plans that have come to light for many a year, and may in fact be the last of their kind.

Please help the rest of the multihull world prevent the Bucc 28 going the way of the dodo..!!

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

As mentioned by Sea Stallion he has had the plans scanned at his expense and forwarded a copy to me.
    Another forum member who has the resources to bring them up to useable condition also has a copy and will work on the plans when they have the time.
    So the plans are not in any imminent danger of being lost unless about 5 hard drives all go on the fritz simultaneously.
    I could I suppose distribute the pdfs as they are but I really don't have the time or the inclination to field the landslide of questions that will generate.
    So, you'll just have to wait until the plans are manually restored scanned to scale and made available.

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

That's excellent news!

All I can say is thanks to SS for letting you copy them and good luck to whoever is doing the re-scaling.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that 5 hard drives are unlikely to die simultaneously!

We will have to simply bate our collective breath...and wait...with patience.

:) :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.