Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

ply is 5mm (1/4") bs 1088 okume. We are paying some $90 USD a sheet locally

oldsailor, sorry the pics dont have enough close up detail, im still shooting with my crappy cell phone. They have all been stapled, heavily! we are using narrow crown (only gun we had) 3/4" stainless steel staples shot from a air powered staple gun. Many practice shots had to be done to stop them from blowing straight through! They are sitting at a good depth and will be left in as you did.

the transom is giving me a helluva time getting everything beveled correctly, doesnt help Im hand planing with a jack plane and the epoxy is slowly dulling it :eek:

The problem with the heat is that the epoxy has about 5 minutes in the cup before it goes off! I put the second and top sheets on solo and when doing the second sheet (long full 8fter of topside) I almost didnt make it. I cannot mix anymore than 4 pumps at a time in these temps, damn exothermic qualities and it goes off FAST FAST! It takes 2 people in these temps with our hardner, which we will be switching. We are using West System 206 but I think we will bump to 209 because the heat is just ridiculous right now. Hope to get 2 panels on tomorrow, we shall see.

2. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Another useful tip is to mix in a shallow tray so that epoxy reaction is slowed...

...apparently the deeper the mix in the container, the faster the reaction sets up...

...and a further trick is to sit the shallow tray in a larger shallow tray which is a water bath, and if you want to go completely ridiculous, add ice to the water bath....

...apparently all these tips slow the exothermic reaction a bit, making the pot life a bit longer.....

...but the number one tip is to do as you've said - change the hardener for a slower reacting one.

3. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Got some more knocked out... doing a tad bit of fairing inbetween gluing panels.

Photo-0600.jpg

Photo-0602.jpg

Photo-0603.jpg

Photo-0609.jpg

Photo-0614.jpg

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Lol 2F2D. :D
    Love your sunshade. !!

5. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

hey that "sunshade" has been saving my butt!!!! :p:p

trying to get as much done as I can... taking a 2 week break in a few days.

2 bottom panels glued on and another side panel done.... plus some touchup here and there and final shaping of chines to transom. Also glued on some fir to make the stem cap. Might get around to shaping this tomorrow.

Photo-0627.jpg

Photo-0629.jpg

6. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday '2f2d'. I'm a semi-retired FRP person with over 40 years experience - in all this 'mucky-stuff' mostly with multihulls. I have an overall view comment

WOW - - WOW -- & LOTS MORE WOW'S to you. What a fab job - in such difficult conditions. Love your 'save your *** cover' they are so very necessary.

Again - what a grand job - you've done so far. This is all only exceeded by your keeping us all - up-to-speed with all your accomplishments & hard work.

Thanks so much & we all can't wish you more 'good-vibes' than we are sending you.

Sure hope you 'slay-the-dragons' when it gets launched. Well done - mate ! !

Ciao, james

7. rattus

rattus Señor Member

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

9. Silver Raven

Gooday 'A-que' - how you going ??? It's a long way from where you say you are from to where the boat is. Yes/no ???

Wonder if our 'PNW' mate - might be able to find out if it's still fore sale ???
    'Cav' - can't be all that far from Everett ???

Might be worth a look at for around $28k CAD - although it is getting very old - & not doubt the structure, rigging, sails & appointments are suffering the 'ravages-of-time' - much like some of us (not me of course) ! !

Might be nice for a couple of 'friends' to sail to much warmer clim's & spend some time - getting to know eachother (that's all 3 of course - the 2 people & most importantly the boat) - 3 way - mutual & equal respect is a must - when at sea ! !

In the 'big picture' - world wide - price wise in regards to - age, size, comfort, condition & sailing performance - the boat is in 'the ball park' but nothing extra special. There are a 'few' others around - however hard to find - they maybe - they are there.

Food for thought. Ciao, james

Ps - OH - to my 'personal' medical adviser' - I've already had my "gubs on toast c/w vegamite & cottage cheese" Thanks for the remedy. bye, jj

10. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi James,

By ‘‘relisted’’ I was referring to the boat Rattus just posted above, not to the one in Everett. I've added a quote in my above post to clear that up. BTW, the Everett boat is not that old (1996 built) and priced in USD.

Cheers,
    Angel

11. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Alas, the seller of the 28-30 on the Queensland Sunshine Coast (actually at Noosa) does not have the plans, he was not the original builder, and has only owned the boat as a 'toy' for the past 3 years, although he has lived aboard for the past few months while trying to find a new liveaboard boat.

He claims it was rebuilt by the previous owner, a cabinetmaker, under the supervision of an experienced multihull builder named (he thinks) Shawn Arbor(?), so maybe one of the banana-benders will know who he means?
    Epoxy and two-pack coated during rebuild, which apparently took over 10 years to complete.

He doesn't appear to know whether or not it was originally a 28, but claims it has much more room than a 28, but I'd guess the sugar scoop on the transom was added during the rebuild, but that's a guess.

Apparently the boat is in very good nick, has mostly new ropes, near new outboard, new VHF radio and is the proverbial 'if you see it you'll buy it'.

He really wants $30K, so probably won't budge much off $25K, but if it is as good as he says, it's probably worth that at least.

He said he has some extra photos and I asked him to email them so if he does I'll post them up...

12. Silver Raven

Gooday 'buzz' - 'banna-bender' here. Shawn Arbor is 1 of the best & he's in South East Qld. - 'google-is-your-friend. Nice boat. Good price. Shame I need something a tad bigger & longer, but that said - if I can't chase down what I want - I'd sure settle for that. Ciao, james - way up in Far Northern Qld.

13. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Shawn Arber multihull builder QLD

Thanks S-R, I 'googled' him and this is what came up:

Arber, Shawn
    Phone: 0412 640 248
    (07) 3245 3771
    Street: 189 Molle Road
    Town/City: Ransome, QLD
    Category: Marine > Boat Builders

So if anyone is interested in chasing up the story on the ebay Bucc, feel free..

14. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

We got almost the whole thing covered, finished up today. Ran out of silica so last panel didnt get put on. Im off to Mexico for a couple of weeks the build is on hold for a bit. Ready to bust my tail when I get back so we can move her to a yard to have room to do all the painting and assembly. Still looking at rig options, but... spectra/dyneema standing rigging is in this Buc's future :) Thanks Silver Raven for the comments!!!

Photo-0633.jpg

Photo-0639.jpg

Photo-0641.jpg

Photo-0642.jpg

1 person likes this.

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Pics of the inside of the Noosa boat on ebay...

Just to clarify, these are pics of the boat referred to by Rattus in post #187.....

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      215 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      305 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      246.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      207.9 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.