Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bruce.
    That pic is very good because it highlights the main bulkhead and shows how Lock arranged the stress paths from the rig, crossarms, centreboard case and (not visible) the water stays, to all come together in the strongest part of the boat, the #4 frame assembly.

I'm not sure I like the "kink" in your crossarms though. You need to replace the joiner plug with a better fitting one. Preferably a close fitting piece of 6061T6 pipe, as in the Buccaneer 28.

On my B.24 we used the wooden plug wrapped in f/glass cloth wetted out with polyester resin. Boatbuilding epoxy as we know it now was not available then. The wood swelled as moisture got in and jammed up the sliding tubes pretty tight. Lubricating with automotive grease helped, but it was a bother when de -mounting for trailering. Metal tubing was a better solution.
    If your crossarms were straight you would not need so much tension in your forward waterstays. :D

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Inprovments

Thanks for looking. I suspected the "droop" was not correct, but I did not have anything to compare it to. The wood plugs are loose and the outer arms move some under load. (several inches at the outer end) Sort of feels like an old Hobie 16:) I like Capricorn's solid beams, but for my use I still have to dismount or fold the floats. The fit seems to be a fine line between eliminating movement and getting stuck. I have been sort of suprised at the plugs taking the fore and aft loading as well as they do. If I don't do anything else, I will get some 6061 pipe before I re-assemble it.

Attached Files:

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes Bruce,

In that frontal photo you can clearly see the difference in "Dihedral' between the front and back crossarms.

Restoring the angle will also lift the bows of the floats some, reducing the drag to some extent, when sailing in light airs. :D

4. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Hey Thanks for posting the picture!

Its a very nice looking Bucc. Do you know what the story is with the cabin bunk tops being lowered? I have thought about doing this so many times to give a bit more space in the cabin!

On my boat I have slats the fit accross the space between the two bunks to make it into a double bed, only problem is then there is nothing downstairs but a bed, but we cook in the cockpit with a boom tent anyway.

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Cabin mods

I am interested in your cabin also. I really would like to re-install a cabin on mine and my local rating group may require it. Right now I am getting by calling the forepeak a cabin;) Bruce

6. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Anyone know anything about this one? It looks pretty highly modified and very quick... I got the photo of the net but couldnt find any info on the boat.

Attached Files:

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Mystery ship

I think the spire/tower in the background is in Seattle, Washington (state) US. Anybody from the west coast on here? Bruce

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thats one hot looking boat, and I really like the rig.

Is it a trick of the light, or is it possible that one has round bilge hulls. ?? :?:

9. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

I dont think its a trick of the light, I think it does have round bilges!

Wouldnt be very difficult to do with some foam blocks, and would add a lot of volume. The transom has also been modified, like Mirandas but a hollow scoop.

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Round bilges

The floats certainly look rounded, I can't quite tell on the main hull but the transom is extended at least a foot with an inboard rudder. It also looks like a small open cuddy cabin. I am going to search sailing club listings in the Seattle area and see if it shows up. Bruce

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Geography lesson

Correction- That is Toronto:confused: in the background of your picture samnz. I wonder if it is one of the original four 24's that were built there. (mine is one of them) I have been searching their sailing clubs but no luck so far. Was there any date with the pic posting? Bruce

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

The mystery deepens. :cool:

That B24s sail #12 denotes the plan was sold in early 1970, or 1969 even.

My B24 was sail#63 and was built in mid 1971.

The CN tower was not completed until 1974-5

Judging by the super modern rig, sugar scoop etc:- I would say that boat is a total renovation ---like Miranda.

13. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

No nothing at all, I found the picture many years ago when I was rebuilding mine, trying to find information on the design, I didnt even know what design my boat was when I bought it!

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

FOUND IT. :D It belongs to a sailor in the Toronto Multihull Cruising Club.

Boat Name: Toy
    Skipper:
    Design: Crowther Buccaneer 24 (modified)
    LOA: 25'

I'll try and find out who the skipper is and get more information.

15. lutes1234

lutes1234 Junior Member

24' Buccaneer Trimaran - plans

Hello,

I new to this forum, I am a Canadian living on the east coast. I own a 1982 24' Buccaneer Trimaran and currently it needs some TLC (cracking along amas seems and paint). We just had a blizzard of snow yesterday, so sailing is in my dreams and my tractor with a plow is reality right now.

I was looking at another post for plans and oldsailor7 you mention that you had plans, do you still have them for purchase?

My boat, I bought 3 years ago and the previous owner did some modification (made it more comfortable but lessen the overal performance) and has written some articles for the Multihull Magizine. So, I am inspired by you all to gain back some of that performance.

Here are some pics.

Thanks,
    Duane

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.